If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

Terrible back pain

PhilupnorthPhilupnorth Posts: 2Member Listener
edited January 16 in Dealing with chronic pain

Hi everyone, I’m after some advice on what I can do as I’m at my wits end as I am suffering excruciating back pain when I’m at work.  I have had two MRI scans 20 months apart which confirm I have a slipped disc & the latest scan said there had been no change but recently my pain has become unbelievable. I work in a warehouse & the constant bending now causes so much pain & I don’t know how much more I can take

I am on a stage one on a capability procedure at work & I’m really worried what will happen if I go sick. What I can’t understand is in the morning I feel fine but as soon as I start bending repeatedly it literally feels like I have been stabbed in the bottom of my spine & the knife is being twisted. I am now part time & work 2 days a week & I had to cut my hours due to other health problems. I need a job but with my health as it is at the moment I would be unemployable if I had to find a new job as no one would take me on.

I having recently started physio but the exercises made the pain worse & I didn’t think that was possible.  When I told him he said the exercises he had given me were the simplest & gave me the impression he wasn’t interested in me. He suggested that when I see my doctor next to talk about getting stronger pain killers but I am already on 150mg Tramadol.  What I was hoping he would do would be to recommend I was to be referred to a pain clinic as my doctor has said she wanted to see what physio said first.

It is a struggle to see a doctor & I have to wait until the end of next month to see my regular doctor again as I see her every couple of months as I struggle with anxiety & depression as well. The pain I am going through is also adversely affecting my depression as I just don’t know how much more I can take & I need to talk with someone who will actually help me get the treatment I need as the way its going I don’t see an end to all the pain at the moment

Tagged:

Replies

• SeanchaiSeanchai Posts: 204Member Pioneering
    Sorry to hear about your back pain ....I am also on tramadol for my right leg ( which is the result of a bad accident ) ...I,m afraid the tramadol do not seem to be doing their job now ..but the doctor told me my next pain killer would be morphine ....I certainly will continue as long as I can without morphine as I know a couple of people on morphine as a pain killer and they are spaced out half the time...I,m bad enough with my various tablets for various ailments ...I also have anxiety and depression and COPD. ...but your back will be under extreme pressure at work bending and lifting . 
    I think you really need to get through to your doctor just how much pain you are in ....of course the doctor will need to wait on the physio's report.  They assessed me for physio but I was not suitable as I have no feeling on my skin on my right leg ...and the physio involved heat ...but it could be dangerous without feeling in my skin.I,m sure your physio will relay your appointment and report on your serious pain . Sometimes physio is not the answer Phil...but the doc has to go through the certain hoops , the same as we do if we are on sickness. 
    Good luck for the future Phil ...please keep us posted on what your doctor decides and how you are feeling about it. 
  • PhilupnorthPhilupnorth Posts: 2Member Listener

Thanks for the reply, in the past I was for a time suicidal due to something unrelated & I was on a very high dose of venlafaxine & I have managed to reduce it to the lowest  & I know how hopeless someone can feel with no way out & I don’t want to slide back after a lot of hard work over the last few years but I just want a way out of this pain and don’t know if there is anything I can do privately,  osteopathy for instance. I don’t know where to go to find out the information I need to get the help I need & if it means paying for it I will do so as I know I can’t go on like this

• chiariedschiarieds Posts: 1,233Member Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Philupnorth - Welcome to this great community & thank you for joining. I also have lower back pain plus other problems all due to a genetic disorder I can't 'fix.'. Now here I should probably confess I'm a physio, altho I haven't worked as such for a very long time!
    At work, your bending is the culprit. Ideally you should bend your knees to lower yourself down, & not your back. I know this is easier said than done in the workplace, but is likely the cause of your increased pain. I'm also sorry your physio wasn't helpful; they should have shown you how to lift correctly. Then with pain, you need to break the vicious cycle, & any exercise that increases this is wrong, so I'm sorry they unfortunately were not much use to you.
    As you've found, being in pain adversely affects your mental health, & vice versa, & medication may not always be the answer.
    I can only speak from personal experience; it's finding a way to manage your pain, & undoubted stress. Sometimes it might be a combination of things that help too, as we're all different. I use 'gentle' exercise; relaxation, including correct breathing together with visualisations; distraction & mindfulness.
    Whilst I realise you can't do these in the workplace, anymore than I can tell myself to relax first thing in the morning, perhaps looking into these may get you back in control of your pain 'most' of the time.
    Please see: https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/therapies/abdominal-breathing.pdf  Something I used to teach & which helps reduce stress & pain.

Sign in or join us to comment.