Advice on PIP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice on PIP

MJKing
MJKing Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited January 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, my brother who is in his 50's had a stroke 6 months ago.  His right side is affected and right arm/hand is very painful and can not use hardly at all.  His memory has been affected and suffers from severe depression. 
A couple of months ago we applied for PIP, they have requested a medical assessment at one of their centres.  It is very awkward to get their by bus, could we request a home visit.  His GP has not been out to visit him, but he still has ongoing visits from physio.  Thank you any advice would be much appreciated. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

He will need a letter from his GP stating the reasons why he can't attend the assessment centre but do be aware that if he attends other appointments then this could go against him when requesting the home assessment. If they do refuse again then he can ask about them paying for a taxi for him to attend the assessment centre because is certain circumstances they will pay but he will have to pay upfront for the cost and them claim it back.

Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MJKing
    Thank you, will phone the centre requesting about taxi expenses. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello  @MJKing   Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of Community Champions.  We guide, advise, help and support members of our Community.

Please can I add further to your brothers PIP assessment.

Please I would consider speaking to mental health charities he has depression.

They offer floating support, benefit assistance, attendance at any assessments. Including speaking for you at any assessments.

On your brothers behalf.

Would take your brother to the assessment centre. 

Some charities would expect you to pay any expenses but if that helps your brother.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

Might be in all areas and you can self refer or speak to your GP.

Also have this organisation for your brothers Stroke.

Information, advice and support.

https://www.stroke.org.uk.

Helpline 030 3033 100

Please if I can help further please get in touch.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • MJKing
    Thank you so much I did not know any of this. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @MJKing   Thank you for reply. Pleasure to help you.

Apologise number for Stroke Association

0303 3033 100

Not as above .

Please if you contact any of the listed mental health charities. Many have links, contacts and support .

Often to other charities.  A lot of the staff have mental health themselves, do understand have a lot to give and offer.

I have had mental health a long time from my early mid teens.

Now middle Fifties and used all three.

Helped me with any benefit problems, including not exclusively filling in the form for me.  Adding a care report and my personal circumstances.

Discussing before the assessments or tribunals or whatever need to do.

Jobcentres an awkward one for me.

Attending crowded office to sign on, with support worker intervened my problems, give me self esteem to cope.

As well speaking for a time at any assessment or tribunal, please if I can advise do this because your brother learns so much.

Mental health is having the knowledge, education to cope.

I have this advise others like me.

One final point your brother would be asked to attend support group. This is something I would immediately take up need to be responsive.

With any support need to be aware. That if you can to help yourself this one of the ethos of healing will give you a lot of time.

To assist as with any thing they offer be a sensible practical aspect of mental health . To always discuss options, reviews. Also with any charity many are like your brother and sometimes choices have to made, if he is in denial or not of acceptance.

I am here to reassure please stress to your brother he needs to be compliant. Many charities have tailored care plans for each individual clientele.

Understand might not agree with some aspects, reason discussions and consultations with your brother.

Before any enrolment what he needs. Please be clear, precise and to the point.

Always write it down, a suggestion. Add to that these charities staff are ready to listen have compassion.   Empathy, sensitivity know have experience.

Your brother meet others like him and also find others who may be come supportive, friends even.

Does help.  In recovery and coping.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.