Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Concerned about the Coronavirus?

We've put together some helpful information and advice about Covid-19 on our website.

You can also read about: improving your wellbeing, getting food and essentials and claiming benefits during this time.

How do you have your brew?

Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 5,648 Scope community team
With all the talk about Brew Monday, it got me to thinking about what makes the perfect cup of tea. I've never found a foolproof technique for the perfect cuppa. I'm bad at gauging how long to leave it brewing or how much milk to add. I've had people tell me that I've made them the worst cup of tea they've ever had and then others say it's frankly the best. A cup of tea from me can be summed up as Schrödinger's Cuppa. Until you drink it, it's potentially both disgusting and delicious. So, I need some tips.

It's really about time I nailed down the life skill that is making a proper cup of tea. So, how do you make yours? Does there always need to be a biscuit? If so, what kind? Do you put the milk in first and if you do, what other disgusting things do you do with hot drinks? Show me a photo of your next cup of tea, or compare it to the colour chart above!
Senior Community Partner
Scope

Replies

• janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 705 Pioneering
    Weathers original for me. Use teabags squeeze with spoon few times add milk last and must be drunk hot 
  • exdvrexdvr Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
    A BREW ??     At least 4.5 alcohol with a nice creamy head.  Newcastle Brown springs to mind.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 5,648 Scope community team
    Wouldn't dunk my digestives in that, mind.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
  • FranstrahanFranstrahan Member Posts: 898 Pioneering
    @Adrian_Scope
    For the perfect cup of tea:

Teabag in mug
    Add a dash (not enough to cover the bottom of the mug) of semi-skimmed milk (not full milk)
    No sugar or sweeteners of any kind
    Add boiling water
    Leave teabag in mug till you've drunk it
    Drink it while very hot
    Repeat as often as necessary
    Remember to replace teabag with a fresh one each time

Perfection in a mug
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 18,522 Disability Gamechanger
    For me it has to be milk first, just a little semi skimmed. A couple of sweeteners but not sugar. Add boiling water and keep tea bag in until the right colour is achieved (tannin salon) No biscuits, need to watch my waist line.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • FranstrahanFranstrahan Member Posts: 898 Pioneering
    @Adrian_Scope
    For the perfect cup of tea:

Teabag in mug
    Add a dash (not enough to cover the bottom of the mug) of semi-skimmed milk (not full milk)
    No sugar or sweeteners of any kind
    Add boiling water
    Leave teabag in mug till you've drunk it
    Drink it while very hot
    Repeat as often as necessary
    Remember to replace teabag with a fresh one each time

Perfection in a mug
    When I was working as a gardener I usually got offered a cup of tea by the client at some point. I always asked for two sugars in it, then at least it tasted of something.
    No one makes a cuppa like you make it yourself :)
  • April2018momApril2018mom Member - under moderation Posts: 2,826 Disability Gamechanger
    I’m not a tea person at all. 
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 421 Pioneering
    Tea or coffee semi skimmed milk, 1 sugar (half if im feeling fat !) quite strong, tend to drink more coffee than tea tbh
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,698 Scope community team
    Werther's original is perfection! Tea bag and hot water first, 2 level sugars, leave for a minute, squeeze the tea bag with the spoon and add a splash of milk!

@Adrian_Scope, I use a liquid level indicator (because of my sight) which means it beeps at a certain point for the water and again for the milk. It means you get a perfect cuppa every time and don't spill hot water everywhere!  :D
    Community Partner
    Scope
  • pollyanna1052pollyanna1052 Member Posts: 1,860 Disability Gamechanger
    very weak black tea...you just threaten it with a tea bag....got to be able to see the bottom of the cup

coffee.....latte or cappuccino with half a teaspoon of sugar
  • SeanchaiSeanchai Member Posts: 272 Pioneering
    'Tannin' for me ....two sugars ( I can take tea without milk but not without sugar) ...boiling water on tea bag but not milk first as the milk will start brewing with the teabag . 
    I enjoy a dolce gusto coffee ( machine ) latte , once per day ( late afternoon ) with three sugars 🙂
    I like a nice cup of tea in the morning ,
    just to start the day you see
    and 'round about 11 , my idea of heaven,
    is a nice cup of tea
    I like a nice cup of tea with my dinner ,
    and a nice cup of tea with my tea,
    and at 9 pm at night , 
    what goes down a treat ?
     your right, 
    it's a nice cup of tea.
    🙂👍
Sign in or join us to comment.