Does a workplace PA help to support you work or volunteer? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does a workplace PA help to support you work or volunteer?

AbigailatSoton
AbigailatSoton Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited January 2020 in Research and opportunities
Hi. I'm the parent of a young person with a learning disability and a researcher.

I'm exploring the potential of PA support to help people to find a way to work.

Do you do this? Do you know anyone doing this?

Here's some information and a 5 minute video - https://findingawaytowork.info/home/

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @AbigailatSoton    Pleased to meet you, thank you for joining.

I am one of the team of Community Champions.

We guide, advise and help members of our community.

Please I am going to suggest speak to a member of our SCOPE team may be able to advise give some support.

@Adrian_Scope    @Chloe_Scope please can you help this member.

One point like to raise there are training companies on line.

In my areas North East have SHAW trust they deal with members of our community in to work, training and employment.

I would suggest see there in your area might be useful.

Support and volunteering think of using and speaking to Community Units. All County Councils have Community Volunteer units.

Where you can ask to volunteer for any charity. They will match up your skills, talents and abilities to the right role.

Please have you spoken to MENCAP.

Often have their own volunteer and employment  training programmes and would be interested to advise you.

https://www.mencap.org.uk.

One other is this mental health charity have their own in house employment services.

Any one who goes and enrolled as a clientele is expected to be assistance with any employment opportunities.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Please hope the SCOPE Team help you further.

Any problems I am sure be able to advise.

Wish you well in your project and scheme.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks!

Is this for people with non physical disabilities or not? I am keen to get my son into work some day. 
  • AbigailatSoton
    Thank you thespiceman for all these suggestions! I will be following up right away. And would love to hear from @Adrian_Scope    @Chloe_Scope&nbsp when you have a moment. April2018mom - I'm looking for people with learning disabilities, including autistic people with learning disabilities, who are working or volunteering now, with PA support.

Love to hear from someone doing this!

Thanks all!
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @AbigailatSoton,

I haven't actually heard of any of our members using a workplace PA, but it doesn't mean there isn't someone out there who does. I'm going to move this to our events, research and opportunities board, where it might get seen by more people.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • AbigailatSoton
    edited January 2020

That sounds great - many thanks.

I know there are people out there dong this - but it's very difficult finding them.

I'm adding this flyer just in case I can catch someone's interest!

University of Southampton ESRC Economic  Social Research Council Finding a way to work Young people with learning disabilities learning at workHow can young people with learning disabilities build a successful adult life without an occupation I am seeking young people to collaborate in research about work and learningDo you knowa young person with a learning disabilitya young person working at something that fits paid or unpaida young person working with a personal assistantId like to video them at work and ask them to think about themselves what they do and what they learn using the video to support their thinking and communicationCan you help Contact Abigail Croydon 07463 878777 aecroydonsotonacuk

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Thanks @AbigailatSoton
    I've added alt-text to the flyer to make it more accessible for our members who use screenreaders and have copied the text below too.
    University of Southampton E.S.R.C Economic & Social Research Council 
    Finding a way to work ...
    Young people with learning disabilities learning at work
    How can young people with learning disabilities build a successful adult life without an occupation? I am seeking young people to collaborate in research about work and learning.
    Do you know
    a young person with a learning disability
    a young person working at something that fits paid or unpaid
    a young person working with a personal assistant
    I'd like to video them at work and ask them to think about themselves, what they do and what they learn, using the video to support their thinking and communication.
    Can you help? Contact Abigail Croydon 07463 878777 a.e.croydon@soton.ac.uk
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • AbigailatSoton
    Many thanks @Adrian_Scope! Much appreciated.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Why not contact some care providers? Often time they have a scheme to help those with learning difficulties find employment. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.