Pension Credit Guarantee and Wifes Pension due soon. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pension Credit Guarantee and Wifes Pension due soon.

David14
David14 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
My wife is due to receive her State Pension in early May this year, She receives Carers allowance Personal for caring for me, I receive PIPs the Higher rate for mobility and £58.70 pw for daily living, I also receive a state pension and it is topped up with Pension credit Guarantee credit, I also receive every year in April £12.74 ( yes that is correct once a year ) from Canada Life from a pension I was not in for very long ( Pension credit etc know about this and it is taken into account and deducted from my benefits ) We receive Housing Benefit and Council tax Benefit, What I would like to know if anybody can help me is When my wife receives her Pension will it make any difference to the other benefits we receive, especially Pension Credit Guarantee if so would it be better for us from a financial point of view  if my wife deferred her pension due in May. I would appreciate help on this matter, Thank you.. 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @David14   Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of Community Champions.

We guide, advise help members of our community.

Please can I advise you. We have a member of our team who has knowledge expertise on anything like this.

@poppy123456 have tagged the lady now and will contact you shortly.

Please if there is anything else further please ask.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • David14
    David14 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi thespiceman thank you for your prompt reply and welcome, We have to go out now but I will check for a reply from poppy123456 when we get home later, regards David14
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @David14 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I'm sure @poppy123456 will be able to best advise you as to your query as @thespiceman has suggested.  Meantime, I hope you enjoy your time with us.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for the tag @thespiceman and @Ails and sorry for the delay in replying,

Hi and welcome @David14

Despite my extensive benefit knowledge im afraid i'm unable to help you with your question because it's way beyond my knowledge. For this reason i'd advise you to get some expert face to face advice from an advice agency near you. This link will help you find what's local to you. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @David14.
    As Poppy said, this is quite complicated. The guidance is that Pension Credit can decide to treat a deferred State Pension as notional income. Also, she will not build up any further SP by deferring while you are getting GPC.  They will take any overlapping benefits off so it would be the amount of SP she could claim, minus her Carer's Allowance, that may be deducted from the Pension Credit. 

As Poppy mentioned, it might be worth getting some face to face advice as they'll be able to go over the intricacies in much better detail with you.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.