Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

Need some help

avakarlssonavakarlsson Member Posts: 329 Courageous
Hi

I am on universal credit as yet I haven’t received any payments, when looking through my journal just now it’s got old info like my wage, how many hrs I do I need to change that so I clicked on where it says report a change and then I select it then after it comes up saying “ from which date would you like to change it” do I do it from when I first went sick from work or when my company sick pay finished? 

Hope to hear shortly 

thank you 

Replies

• thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @avakarlsson Please can I ask have you spoken to Universal Credit team is that Job centre plus .

Ask them, see what they say.

Hope that helps.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • avakarlssonavakarlsson Member Posts: 329 Courageous
    edited January 24
    Hi 

yes I phoned universal credit and spoke to someone and I asked if they have received the form and they said no not yet, then I phoned the people who deal with the assessments etc and they said no we haven't got it yet, but they said phone back Friday (today) and see, so I don’t no if they will say yes I have got the benefit of not, or they will say what group I am in. 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 20,099 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 24
    Are you still receiving SSP? If you are then your SSP will reduce the amount of UC you're entitled to and because you are under 25 then it will be reduced to zero.

The work capability assessment form you returned was only returned about 1 week ago. I know you're anxious but you really do need to give it some time because a week isn't long enough. Once they receive the form back and someone has looked at it, they will send you an appointment for a face to face assessment but this can take several weeks and sometimes many months.

If you ring them today they won't tell you whether you've successfully been placed into one of the groups. Most people have to have a face to face assessment before a decision's made.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Yes I am still getting statutory sick pay, I thought I would need to update my details as it still says I’m doing 16hrs a week and my pay is still the same as when I was working, I just thought I would need to change it to what is currently happening.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 20,099 Disability Gamechanger
    You can change it yes but they will know you're receiving SSP because your employer will report your SSP earnings to HMRC and DWP check what you receive with them through RTI. Just so that you know, changing those hours doesn't entitle you to any UC payments each month because your SSP will still reduce it to zero.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Oh I see, I thought by updating it, it would let them know and that’s it, I didn’t realise my employer would report my statutory sick pay amounts to HMRC and DWP will check to see what I receive through RTI. 
    An employer must report payroll information to HMRC and this includes SSP, which is how DWP know how much UC you're entitled to.
    Oh I see, as my payment I get now is different to when I was working.
    They will know what you receive. Even though you receive less money now, it doesn't mean you're entitled to any UC each month because it will still be reduced to zero meaning you're not entitled to any UC each month.
    Oh I see so for now there’s no need to update it. By me doing the questionnaire form etc hopefully I will get it, and if they say you can’t work then I change it on my account and update it so they know, what if I just changed the part where it says you do 16hrs a week should I change that and say 0 or I can’t at this moment due to ill health? 
    If you weren't receiving the SSP then you would be financially worse off each month because you're under 25 then your UC payment would only be £251.77 per month.
    Yes course I would be receiving it.  But if I change my hours on my universal credit to say 0 due to ill health will I get the payment? Or not even payment but they know? 
    No, i'm sorry but that's not correct. Changing the hours on your journal won't affect the amount of UC you're entitled to. As i have advised a few times, your SSP reduces it to zero and you're not entitled to any UC each month.
    Ok now I know I don’t need to change it for a bit I will leave it. Sorry I get confused. Yes it’s the SSP that stops me getting the universal credit. Where I did the questionnaire and I if I did get the benefit, SSP would stop and it would just be the universal credit claim and my pip I would get. 
    Your SSP is only paid for 28 weeks and will stop after this time. Then you would receive £251.77 per month UC.

Once you've been assessed for the limited capability for work, if the decision is LCWRA then you will receive the extra £336 per month, if the decision is just LCW or fit for work then you won't receive any extra UC payments each month.Of course if you're not happy with the decision then you can request the MR.

I realise you get confused and you're really anxious but please try to relax and forget about the work capability assessment until you hear something because stressing yourself isn't going to make the assessment happen any quicker and i realise that's very difficult to do but try to think about something else. When i'm waiting for a work capability assessment i try my hardest not to think about it because if i did then it would make my condition so much worse.
    Yes I understand what you mean, I’m not worried about the assement I just want it all to be done and sorted then if I get the payment that would be good, just have to wait and phone them later the assessment place as they said to me On Tuesday I have to ring them back today, so hopefully I will have an update etc.
    And also do universal credit know I am not currently working or do I need to tell them as they think I’m doing 16hrs  
    Make the changes on your journal, no need to ring them but they will know you're not working.
    Is that what I should do, do you think? 
    Yes, just make the changes.
    I will do that now thank you 
    Hi
    Before I phoned up universal credit today I changed my work info on my journal and then phoned them up and said on my journal page it is still showing my current hrs and what I got paid, and the person who I spoke to said yes you have changed it and I said I’m on statutory sick pay too she said that’s fine so it looks like I am getting universal credit payments, they said you will get a payment this month as it won’t be a full amount, and I have to go to the job centre for an appointment to do work commitment. I also asked about my form the UC50 and they said it hasn’t come it could of got lost in the post so I had to print out a copy and asked for the address so I will go to the post office tomorrow so I know it will get there. 

Does universal credit payments get backdated to when you first claim? 

Thank you 
    I hope I don’t have to wait too long for an assessment if I need one, and I hope the letter doesn’t get lost in the post again when I send it today. 
    SSP is £94.25 per week and based on this amount i'm afraid you were incorrectly advised by the person on the phone. As you're under 25 and don't claim for the housing element because you live with parents, i believe? then your SSP will definitely reduce your UC to zero, as i've advised quite a few times.
    When I phoned yesterday that’s what I got told from universal credit I will get a payment on the 5th feb every month, but this month won’t be a full amount. 

As mentioned I had to repost the UC50 questionnaire as they hadn’t received it yet and she said it’s got probably lost in the post as I would be here by now as you sent it last Thursday. So I have filled another form out and today I will go to the post office and make sure I get it signed for so I can track it and known it’s got to the place the form needs to go to.  
    edited January 25
    Is your SSP £94.25 per week? and when does your SSP end?
    If your UC50 form was sent straight to the health assessment providers (some are) and not to DWP then DWP won't know it's been received. You should contact the health assessment providers rather than DWP.
    Yes I sent the questionnaire to the  place health and disabilities assement Wolverhampton 
    Yes my SSP is £94.25 a week I’m not sure when it finishes as I haven’t been told. 
    As it was sent straight to the health assessment providers then i'd advise you to ring them and not DWP. See link for their contact number. Even though this link states ESA it's still the work capability assessment and it's exactly the same people.
    https://www.chdauk.co.uk/contact-us I believe they are open this morning. They will tell you if your form has been received.

As your SSP is the amount i thought it was then worked out as a monthly pay this will be £408. because you are under 25 your standard allowance for UC will only be £251.77 per month. Working out the 63% deduction for your SSP then your deduction for UC is £257 per month, so it reduces your UC payments to zero.

If you were over 25 then yes, you would receive a small amount. Therefore the person you spoke to has given bad advice and this won't be the first time they've done this. I don't want you thinking that you will receive payment from UC when this isn't correct.

You are actually better off at the moment with your SSP payments because if you weren't receiving that then your UC would be just £251.77.

I get £377 a month from my statutory sick pay 
    When I phoned DWP universal credit I told them I was on statutory sick pay and I told her  I changed my work details as there wrong now, and she looked and she saw I changed them then she said you will get universal credit and statutory sick pay, this months will be a small amount as it’s nearly the statement date and the assessment period 
    That will be 4 weekly pay and not monthly.
    Sorry that’s what I meant 
    Even with that i'm afraid your UC is still reduced to zero. Changing your hours on your journal isn't going to affect the amount of UC you're entitled to because UC is based the earnings and not hours worked.

I've helped all i can here for now and there's no further advice i can give. Once you hear from the health assessment providers if you have any questions please do ask. Or once you have the decision on the work capability assessment if you have questions then please do ask.

Good luck.
    I will look at my statement on my journal on Friday as that’s when it is due 

Hopefully there will be a payment 
    Hi 

Is universal credit backdated to when I first started my claim? 

Thank you 
    No, as i previously advised, once you've been assessed for limited capability for work, if you're given LCWRA then you will receive an extra £336 per month starting from the 4th month of your claim from when you sent your first fit note. There's a 3 full month assessment period waiting time and because UC us paid in arrears you don't receive it until the 4th month.

If the decision is anything else, there's no extra money.
    Oh I see, I thought when you first claim they back date it like pip, but obviously not as you just mentioned. 
    edited January 27
    In some cases yes but in your case, unfortunately not. Unless the decision takes longer then it's back dated to the 4th month, if you're given LCWRA.
    oh I see, I first claimed universal credit 28th or 29th October 2019 
    Yes I remember you saying in a previous thread. 
    So I won’t get any backdated payment only from December to January and get paid on the 5th feb 
    If you're awarded LCWRA then your first extra payment would be 5th Feb but as we are almost into Feb now then you won't have a decision by that time, so if you're awarded it will be backdated. They can't pay you the extra if no decision's been made.
    When I phoned universal credit Thursday I explained I did the work change on my journal and asked about the questionnaire and they said print it off and send it back so I filled it out and sent it back to them Friday and they said I will get payment but not a full amount on the 5th feb I will need to look at my statement on Friday as it comes then. Then I will get the full amount next month and when I know which group I am in the extra payment if I am in that LWCRA group.
    I've already advised you regarding this but we still seem to be going round in circles with the same thing. As long as you're still receiving SSP then because you're only entitled to the standard allowance for under 25's your UC will be reduced to zero, like it has been since you claimed UC. Reducing your hours on your journal won't made a difference to the amount you're entitled to. I can only guess that the person you spoke to thought you were over 25.

There's no timescales for the waiting time for work capability assessments, some wait just a few weeks after sending the form back but others wait several months. It really depends on backlog in your area and what the waiting times are.
    I said to the person I am 21 and I am receiving sick pay and they said you will be getting the payment universal credit and my statutory sick pay payment too.
    Hopefully they would of got the questionnaire back today as I sent it 1st class signed for, then maybe hear within a couple of weeks time. 
    I've lost count on the amount of times DWP have given the incorrect advice to someone, which causes confusion for the person claiming the benefit. It has also been known for people to claim the wrong benefits. All because they rang DWP for advice....
    I will wait and see and on Friday I will look at my statement. They did say I was getting it, I will see 
    Hi 
    I have got my universal credit commitment meeting on Thursday and it’s the first time for me, what happens at the meeting? 

Thank you 
    As you haven't yet been assessed as having limited capability for work then you'll need to agree to your work commitments during this appointment.
    I have got my assessment on the 15th this month not Saturday coming but the following. I just wanted to know what happens on Thursday when I go to my job centre for the commitment appointment.
    Good luck for the work capability assessment.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,491 Scope community team
    Hi @avakarlsson. At the commitment appointment your work coach will discuss and agree with you what your work commitments should be (whether you should be looking for work, how many hours for, etc). You'll need to accept these if you're to be paid any UC you may be entitled to.
    However, as Poppy mentioned, with your SSP it may mean your deductions for 'wages' are higher than your UC anyway. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
    Yes, I do get statutory sick pay until the end of March but it might change depending on the 15th when I have my assessment they may say I am on LWCRA and then I will get payment, 2 weeks I phoned and explained and I said I am on statutory sick pay and the questionnaire form needed to be done so I filled that out on a Wednesday and sent it back 1st class signed for as when I first did it, it got lost in the post, then I phoned last week and they said they had got it, and they told me when your statement comes on the 31st Jan you will get payment your statutory sick pay and your universal credit payment so I phoned up after when I saw the statement was £0 to be paid this Wednesday and they said they have giving you the wrong info, you have to wait until the assessment then it will change probably 
    The reason your UC amount is reduced to zero is because of your SSP that you're receiving reduces it to zero, which i did try to explain to you. DWP really are not the ones to ask for advice because very often they are not correct, which has been the case here.
    Hopefully when I have my assement on the 15th and if I am put on the LWCRA group then I will get payment? 
    It may take a while for the decision to be made as there's no timescales. If you are given LCWRA then it will be paid from this month, so they will owe you money.
    Hopefully after the assessment I won’t have to wait to long, it’s a shame they don’t back date it, but if there system works like that obvisouly that is how it is.  
  • SeanchaiSeanchai Member Posts: 306 Pioneering
    Hi Ava....I do not know the amount of wrong info I was getting from various government bodies ( including  CAB , The carers Centre , the DWP, Local job centre offices , Dhss office ....and including wrong information from UC. )  I was kept right by Poppy123456 , her knowledge of the system put the UC offices to shame . The only time I got correct information from UC was when my wife spoke to head office  . Thanks to Poppy ( she helped me through my changeover from DLA to PIP , my assessment, my housing benefit and what I was entitled to ....she also told me what I was entitled to from UC ....and what my wife was due on her pension ( still waiting for that to get fixed out) all poppy,s advice was spot on .
    I hope you get on ok at your assessment ( I waited roughly 8 or 9 weeks from my assessment until word came through that I was awarded PIP Lcwra ) then awarded UC ( exactly as poppy advised)then housing benefit , Poppy is also correct in saying " try to forget about the assessment and decision until you get word " ....I know that's hard but my condition worsened during that waiting time . Trying to prejudge the outcome is a waste of time.
    Good luck Ava ....and please keep us notified on how you get on .🤞
    Hi 

Yes I will just wait until the 15th for my assement and hopefully it won’t take too long for the decision to come through.
    @Seanchai thank you very much for your kind words. It's was my pleasure to be able to advise you. Good luck with the bathroom when they start it and i hope they won't be too long completing it.
  • SeanchaiSeanchai Member Posts: 306 Pioneering
    Thanks poppy ( for all your help and good wishes) ...I await the 19th February ( with intrepidation) where they council have said the asbestos company will clear the asbestos and the wet room sub contractors are meant to start the same day (  5 to 7 days to fit the wet room ) . 🤞👍
    Hi 
    On Saturday just gone I had my universal credit work health assessment, as it got changed from this weekend coming to Saturday just gone, so now I hope I don't have to wait too long for the letter in the post, when can I ask for the assessment report? so I can have a copy

Thank you 
    Wait a week after the assessment and then request the report from UC.

The decision letter will be uploaded onto your journal and not received by post. There's no timescales for decisions, backlogs are just part of the reason a decision can be delayed.

When you receive the report look for the LCW and LCWRA recommendations at the back. Post here if you need help to understand what it means.
    Thank you for the info Poppy, I will phone next Monday for the assessment report to be sent to me. That’s good it’s done on the journal and not waiting for the letter to come to see what they’ve awarded you. Hopefully I won’t have to wait long and I am guessing I will receive a text message from UC to say you’ve got a message in your account. For example if I got the LWCRA what does that mean and what do I do? 

Thank you  
    No problem. If decision is LCW then you won't receive any extra money each month and you'll be expect to prepare for work sometime in the future. Attending work focused interviews, is likely but that will depend on your claimant commitments.

If it's LCWRA then you'll receive an extra £336 per month from your next payment because this is the 4th month for you.

If it's fit for work then you'll be expected to look for work and what's expected of you will depend on your claimant commitments.

If you're not happy with the decision, as always you'll have 1 month to request the MR.
    Yes course depends on what group I am put it, that’s good it comes through your journal, as with post it would take longer by doing it via your journal much easier, and hopefully quicker process. Yes if I am on the LWCRA group I would get my payment in March plus the extra £336 and that would be every month until the date is to renew it again. 
    Can you get a copy of your decision letter in post too? As just incase my journal goes funny or anything I have got a back up.  
    They don't send out decision letters in the post, it's on your journal as previously advised.
    I know it will be on my journal but it’s a shame they don’t send out a letter too. 
    I will keep checking at my journal everyday, I know I will probably get a text message to say there’s a message in your journal.
    Can I do anything else, or just wait for it to come through, hopefully it will be quick as it’s going through the journal.
    All you can do is wait. I know it's very stressful but like everything else, there's no timescales for decisions. Once the report has been received back from the health assessment providers then if DWP have your mobile number they will text you.

Sometimes it's sent the same day and other times it take longer to send it back. Backlogs are just part of the reason decisions can be delayed but you only had the assessment on Saturday so please try to relax, i know it's difficult but there's nothing more you can do.
    Yes course depends on how busy they are, yes DWP have got my mobile number. Next Monday I will phone DWP and ask for the report to be sent to me so I know what the decision will likely be. 
    Do you know what the likelihood I will get universal credit the payments and one of the groups? 
    That's a question the no one can answer. I do realise how anxious you are but there's nothing more you can do but wait.
    Yes course I understand it’s just waiting for the decision/letter to come on my journal. 

If I do get the LWCRA do they tell my work I can’t work due to ill health reasons.

If I do get the LWCRA do they tell my work I can’t work due to ill health reasons.

No.
    Oh I thought they would, would I have to tell them? 
    I’m not sure why you thought DWP would tell them. That’s your responsibility and you need to speak to your employer yourself.
    I just thought it would get passed on to my employer through the system somewhere, 
    No. This is DWP and they are your employers, which are 2 different things. DWP will not pass on any information to them.

Please try to relax. I've given you so much information across many different threads, including this one which now has 83 comments. There's no other advice i can give you. Please wait for the decision and once you have that if you need more advice then post back here.
    Thank you poppy 
    Yes I shall await to hear for the decision to come on my journal. And I will phone next Monday to ask for my assessment report to be sent to me in the post.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,491 Scope community team
    edited February 11
    The waiting can be awful so I empathise with you there @avakarlsson. I hope you're not kept waiting too long and that they're able to send you a copy of the assessment report on Monday. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
    Yes hopefully I won’t have to wait long and soon I will get a message on my journal to say the letter is there 
    I will phone on Monday to have a copy of my assessment report as if I phone now I guess it won’t be ready to send in the post to me.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Administrator Posts: 10,181 Scope community team
    Hi @avakarlsson, have you manage to request a copy of the report? I hope this will be helpful. :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
    Hi Chloe, I haven’t yet requested the report if I phone now will they have the report to be able to send to me? 

Thank you 
    Hi @avakarlsson, if it's been at least a week since your assessment then they should have it available to send to you. :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    edited February 13
    Hi Chloe, I haven’t yet requested the report if I phone now will they have the report to be able to send to me? 

Thank you 

It's only been 4 working days since your assessment. If you haven't yet received a text message to say it's been received back then they won't have received it yet.

Do be aware that they won't always send the report out for the work capability assessment under UC until the decision's been made. Some will and some won't.
    Thank you Poppy for your message, I will ring them now and see what they say and hopefully they have got it and they can send it to me. 
    Hi 

I just phoned universal credit and as yet they said within the next 2 weeks I should know my decision and have my report. They haven’t got it back my report once they do they will update my journal and I phone to say can I have my report sent to me in the post. 

So hopefully now it won’t take long for the decision letter to come on my journal.  
    There's no timescales for decisions and it can't be made until both reports have been returned to DWP. Unfortunately all you can do is wait.
    They told me within 2 weeks time I will hopefully have the decision and report. Then I can phone them to get the report sent to me in the post. 
    Keep us updated @avakarlsson. :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    I will do just keep checking my journal everyday 
    Hi 
    Just had a message notification from universal credit and my work health assessment pdf is on my journal 

They have said ”you do not have limited capability for work”. 
    What does this mean?

I have asked them which group I am In and just waiting for there reply.
Sign in or join us to comment.