help and advice required re friends pip — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

help and advice required re friends pip

Options
curnew
curnew Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Im helping a friend with her pip. She needs a new liver kidney pancreas but is unable do to too much heart damage, Shes in hr early 50s has diabetes . is going blind and has had a stroke. Living on her own makes for a difficult life and she keeps getting turned down despite having written proof nothing can be de done and there's no cure . She also has a tuma at base skull which if burst will probably kill her. Any suggestions as to how she can get help and support. Shes had to give her job up so no income.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome, has you friend applied for PIP before ? And if so what was the reasons and did your friend do a MR? When applying for PIP read the requirements and expectations of the PIP descriptors in relation to how your friend can respond to each one safely, repeatedly and in a timely manner. Do a self test and see how you fair.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

You say she keeps being refused, has she requested the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) and then took it to Tribunal with any of the decisions? or has she just been refused and then started another claim?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • curnew
    Options
     Hi Poppy
    Tribunal is in the process as next stage . Took her 3 attempts get to interview stage.
  • curnew
    Options
    Hi Wilko
    This is all new to her and had a support worker to help her go through forms but im not so sure on how helpful shes been as shes " lost her  paperwork on one occasion " Shes been turned down 3 times without getting interview has now had interview and going tribunal
  • curnew
    Options
    Ive had pip for a few years now so have filled all forms out myself .
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. What you need to do is give real life examples of what happened the last time she attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to her.

She should continue with the Tribunal and wait for a hearing date and not start a new claim. Appearing in person will give her the best chance of a decision in her favour but waiting times are huge in most areas and some are waiting as long as 1 year for a hearing date.

My advice is to speak to an advice agency for help and support and if she can get representation from the advice agency  then this will increase her chances even more. See link to see what's local to her https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.