Worried - 70 years young and thought that I had PIP sorted — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Worried - 70 years young and thought that I had PIP sorted

Options
skullcap
skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous
Joined her for two reasons. One that this charity has done a lot regarding PIP and to me as experts go is as goof as it could get and two there seems to be a lot of honest and non judgemental members.

Right. I was reading another forum (MSE) and some member on it who seems to be of similar age to me has had PIP for about the same length of rime. That person also 70 has had to fill out a review form. I thought that at our age and provided that you are on PIP, I get top rate care and mobility, you would get an automatic 10 year extension when the current award finishes. That other person hasn't got that he has been told that he must fill out the review form and maybe have another face to face assessment.

Is that normal? If so I honestly don't think that I could cope with that. Are there any others that aren't getting the 10 award?

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @skullcap I will tag my friend @poppy123456 to advise :) Let us know if you need any further help :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Was your last review before you were 65? If so then after this one providing of course you are awarded PIP then it will be done under "light touch" and a 10 year award
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

This change was applied to all new PIP claimants who reached State Pension age before their planned re-assessment. It will start being applied to existing PIP claimants over State Pension age.

The changes will benefit pensioners whose personal circumstances are unlikely to change. If they think your circumstances are likely to change then you will be sent review forms, otherwise you will be sent a new award letter nearer the time.

This is how i understand it.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • skullcap
    Options
    I was 66 when they changed my DLA to PIP. I understood it that I will get a guaranteed 10 year award letter in 2021.
    It seems that I may have misunderstood this and some who should get the longer award won't if the government think that they are not entitled to it. There are no guarantees it appears that you will get the longer award next time. Maybe the member on the other forum is one of those cases. I'll bet that was a shock to them and just hope that they don't do this to me.

• skullcap
    Options
    UPDATE
    Had a rather strange telephone call from the DWP yesterday (Saturday would you believe!). He said that it was with reference to a letter that I sent to them on the 24th Jan. He confirmed that all PIP recipients who are over State Pension Age will NOT have to be reviewed or have a face to face assessment but will be awarded a 10 year award at the normal review date unless they indicate to the DWP that there has been either a change in the medication that is being prescribed, a change in ability or inability or they are now suffering from a different condition all of which may or could give rise to a reduction or an increase in the current PIP award.

I asked him to confirm that if the claimant did not contact the DWP in this way there would be no re-assessment at review time: he said that is what he is saying.

Wow looks like I will get a 10 year award after all and to keep stumm in not contacting them. 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I wouldn't be so sure about that because people have indeed been sent review forms despite being state pension age and above. I wouldn't trust DWP with any advice i'm given, sorry.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.