Bedroom tax — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bedroom tax

Options
byeck823
byeck823 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
hello i'm a single parent living in a 3 bedroom house i've took disabled and my son is probably going to live with my oldest son. i'm paying bedroom tax for one bedroom. can anyone tell me if i will have to pay for the other room to. and if yes how much will it be ? thank's for any advice. Peter  

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @byeck823

Good Morning & Welcome to our Online Community/family.

I am one of a team of Community Champion’s here at Scope.

My good friend Poppy will be able to help you with your question.

Hi @poppy123456

Sorry but I have just come across this post & I was hoping that you can “shed some light” on it for me???

@steve51
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks @steve51 for the tag.

Hi and welcome @byeck823 if you have 2 more spare bedrooms then you will lose 25% of your entitlement. You could apply for a discretionary housing payment (DHP) from your local council but there's no guarantee you'll receive this and it's only paid for a short period of time before you have to reapply. If you apply for this then i'd advise you to get some help filling out the form because it's very complex.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • byeck823
    byeck823 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you. I'm also house bound so turned one room in the a small gym for exercise. would that come in to my favour ? 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No problem. No, unfortunately, it's still classed as a bedroom.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.