Pension saverscredit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pension saverscredit

ello
ello Community member Posts: 20 Listener
edited February 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
my pension credit has been made up of pension savers credit

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Sorry but i'm not sure exactly what your question is, could you give some more information please?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous
    Pension Credit is generally made up of two elements - the Guaranteed Credit part and the Savings Credit.
    The latter is based on the amount of private pensions that you have paid into. 
  • ello
    Hi sorry my fault im making this enquiry on behalf of my cousin Aged 80 so does not understand the system,
    My question is about her pension, apparently she cannot get a guaranteed pc because her pension includes a savers credit?
    she don't understand this or where it came from! however 
    she is on high rate DLA (awarded in 1995) with lower rate care,
    when i made an enquiry   to the pension dept about this savers thing  for her i was told that she may be able to claim extra money could be £80 + pw  to  help with whatever she may need regarding care/help as she has never claimed any careers allowance which if successful  would show as a pension credit,
    that person was looking into it for her and it could take app 6 weeks, 
    as it's over this period i called today to be told that she is not eligible because she is on low rate care  of DLA  
    so does not not qualify for guaranteed PC or PCredit Her total pension amounts £181.97 pw includes savers

She can however receive help with Glasses Dentist ETC but she has to apply for this every time she also has to apply herself for the warm home scheme every year 
    any advise you could give will be much appreciated 
    we are wondering if it would be better for her to transfer from DLA to Attendance allowance!

• ello
    My cousin does not have any savings or private pensions 
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2020
    The advice she was given about maybe able to claim extra benefits because she’s never claimed any carers allowance, she can’t claim this for herself. I think the person maybe talking about the severe disability premium. Unfortunately because she’s only receiving low rate care DLA then she won’t be able to claim this premium because one of the criteria is mid or high rate care DLA. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • ello
    Hi poppy thank you 
    Could she apply for a re-assessment to DLA would or could this increase her care rate.
    she has a lot more conditions since her award in 1995 but never considered this?
    were  not sure because of her age!.
    Kind Regards
  • poppy123456

BUT because of her age she maybe asked to apply for Attendance Allowance, which doesn't have a mobility part. If a supersession is possible then she really does need to get some expert face to face advice before she does anything else.

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    I'm sure she can claim pension credit
    Its about how low her income is. 
    Unless she has saving that would take her over £10.000.
    Get all your proof next to phone then call 0800 319 6789. Good luck
  • poppy123456
    Misscleo said:
    I'm sure she can claim pension credit
    Its about how low her income is. 
    Unless she has saving that would take her over £10.000.
    Get all your proof next to phone then call 0800 319 6789. Good luck

Not everyone is entitled to pension credit.
  • ello
    Hi Misscleo
    Thanks for your advice 
    My cousin is 80 yrs old and has no savings at all.
     she gets £181.00 per week pension + she gets the high rate DLA with low rate care (I'm not sure of this amount at the moment)
    I did contact Pension Credit and i was told that as she had paid into surps many years ago (which she cannot remember doing) this created the savings credit and makes her pension just above the basic pension by £14.00 pw so not entitled to Pension Credit!
    (they say the £14.00 pw  is  the government way of giving you a bit back?)  what a giggle.
    And as she only gets the low rate care component of DLA she does not qualify for any extra Benefits either.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.