Hi, my name is ggailboff! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is ggailboff!

ggailboff
ggailboff Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I currently receive pip and I require a mobility scooter is there anywhere that I could get a personal loan to pay for it.thanks in advance

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ggailboff

Good Afternoon it’s great to meet you today.

I am one off the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

I have got a good friend “Poppy” who will be able to offer you some help/advice.

Hi @poppy123456

Can you please offer me some help with this post???

Many thanks.

@steve51

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,909 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for the tag @steve51. I did comment for some unknown reason it hasn't posted.

HI and welcome,.

Do you claim any means tested benefits such as Universal Credit (with no earned Income) or Income related JSA/ESA or Income Support? If you do and you've been claiming for at least 6 months then you maybe able to claim for a budgeting loan or budgeting advance. How much you can borrow will depend on your circumstances. It will need to be repaid back from future benefit payments but there's no interest to pay. See link. https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/budgeting-loans-and-budgeting-advances

For any other loans then it will depend on your financial situation and your credit rating but do be aware that sometimes the interest can be very large.

Have you taken a look on gumtree for your area? They often have mobility scooters for sale on there. Take a look and see what you find. Also if you have access to facebook, try looking at the for sale sites in your area, sometimes people sell them quite cheap.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @ggailboff do you mind sharing which component you receive for mobility, standard or enhanced? If you receive the enhanced component, you can get a mobility scooter through the Motability scheme :) 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,909 Disability Gamechanger
    @Ami2301 thanks for that, i didn't give that a thought. Although whether this is worth it is another matter. https://www.motability.co.uk/products/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ggailboff Welcome to the community. As advised if you are on enhanced mobility you can use motability scheme, but it does seem a very expensive way to get one and of course you need your award to stay in place to keep it. I have looked into this for myself but didn't think it was a good option. There are lots second hand ones advertised on facebook ,gumtree and ebay.    
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ggailboff and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  Good luck in finding a mobility scooter.  If we can be of any help/support to you then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • ggailboff
    ggailboff Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you so much
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @ggailboff! Is there anything else we can do to help? :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.