Divorce disabled child Carers — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Divorce disabled child Carers

flowermama
flowermama Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi
im new, looking for advice about getting divorced while being main parent and Carer of a disabled child.
my ex is only breadwinner.
im unlikely to be able to work as child gets dla and I get Carers.
iF I was to claim universal credit would my previous savings be counted? What about my pension (which I don’t claim yet as I’m not at that age). 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

May i ask what you mean by previous savings?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • flowermama
    I saw on a benefits calculator that the Dwp will take into account any capital that you’ve given away or spent even if you no longer have access to it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    That's only for those who already claim means tested benefits. However, when claiming a means tested benefit if you have given away savings they may ask questions why you did this because they could think that you did it to claim a means tested benefit, which could be classed as deprivation of capital. Bank statements will be needed when claiming a means tested benefit.

Your future pension is not counted when claiming UC because you're not yet claiming this.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • flowermama
    Ok thanks. Is there a time limit that they check?6months? A year? 2years? 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.