To register as a carer or not? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

To register as a carer or not?

Options
Sorry_Susan
Sorry_Susan Community member Posts: 58 Courageous
I have now realised that I have my very own label - I am a carer for my disabled adult daughter and autistic teenager. I thought I was just a mum, but realised that I am a mum and carer.
I now need to decide wether to register as a carer. How do I register and where? Should I register?
Advise please.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

You can tell your GP so that it will be put onto your records but that's really about it when you "register" as a carer.

If either of your children claim PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care then claiming carers allowance maybe possible depending on your circumstances.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 502 Pioneering
    Options
    Yes that was essentially going to be my reply too

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Sorry_Susan! How are you doing today? :)
    Scope

• Sorry_Susan
    Options
    Thank you for asking @Chloe_Scope
    Today is much better. One of your colleagues have given me useful information and made the necessary soothing noises. Sometimes empathy and understanding is all one needs.

• Chloe_Scope
    Options
    I'm so glad to hear this @Sorry_Susan! Understanding really can make a difference!
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi, I am thankful that I have carers....hubby being my main one, and a lovely lass who has been with me for 9 years.
    I also have a variety of women from a care agency looking after me.

Without these people, I would be lost!

Thankyou!

• Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Sorry_Susan,
    I just thought I would ask again if you have claimed Carers Allowance if one of your daughters has the required level of DLA/PIP?
    Even if you do not get a payment you can get credits towards your National Insurance record.
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • Sorry_Susan
    Options
    How where do I register for that? I am a bit like a hamster an a wheel at the moment.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020
    Options
    How where do I register for that? I am a bit like a hamster an a wheel at the moment.

You can't claim for the carers allowance  or the carers credits unless your daughters claims a qualifying benefit such as DLA mid/high rate care or PIP daily living.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sorry_Susan
    Options
    We have a PIP appointment at the end of Feb. Will keep running the wheel  for now.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    Please do let us know how the appointment goes @Sorry_Susan. :)
    Scope

• anisty
    anisty Community member Posts: 354 Pioneering
    Options
    Im sure it is in the link Poppy posted but your own income (if you have any paid work yourself) is limited if you claim carer's allowance. I cant remember the exact figure.

When my son was born, i gave up my career.

I didnt work at all for 2yrs but then re trained as a childminder and it was brilliant as it really fitted in with being there for him and earning at the same time.

When he was around 9/10 he went through a stage of being quite difficult to manage due to severe problems with constipation. I wont give too much detail as it wasnt pleasant but suffice it to say i had a lot of extra washing to do and it was very stressful all round for a few years. 

I looked into the carers allowance then as things were getting on top of me but i would have had to give up my childminding and i decided to battle through and carry on. 

Just something to be aware of if you do paid work or plan to do paid work in future.
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Options
     Hi,

Just thought I would confirm that the earnings limit for Carers Allowance is £123. 

:)

Joanne 
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.