If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Concerned about the Coronavirus?

We've put together some helpful information and advice about Covid-19 on our website.

You can also read about: improving your wellbeing, getting food and essentials and claiming benefits during this time.

PIP appeal won, what next?

scotleagscotleag Member Posts: 53 Connected
I mentioned in another discussion that I had been told my PIP appeal wouldn't be heard until around June. I told the Courts & Tribunal service I'd be happy to take a cancellation if one come up and as a result my appeal was heard yesterday (Weds 5th). To my immense relief it was successful and I have been awarded enhanced rate for both daily living and mobility backdated to late July. I'm aware the DWP can string things out by requesting a statement of reasons then take a bit more time to see if there's any point of law they can challenge before finally paying up and while that's a hassle I'm just so delighted to have won my case I'll happily wait a few weeks. But there are some knock-on issues I'm not at all sure about and would like advice/information on if anyone can help. Obviously none of these would arise until I receive official confirmation DWP are going to implement the awards but I'd like to be as prepared as possible.

How long should I wait before asking what has happened to my award if I haven't received payment? Six weeks? Eight weeks? Longer?

Do I have to inform the local authority of my award? My understanding (and I may well be wrong, if so please enlighten me) is that PIP isn't taken into consideration WRT housing benefit & council tax but I don't want to fall foul of any regulations.

What is the extent of back pay? is it limited to PIP or is there a knock-on effect? My understanding here is that PIP brings an entitlement to Enhanced Disability Premium. I have been in receipt of this from December when I moved from the ESA WRAG to the Support Group but would I be entitled to this from the date of my award - i.e. from late July to end November? I don't know if this affects anything but my ESA claim is for a couple and I currently receive the Enhanced Disability Premium rate for a couple.

How long is the award likely to last for? For both daily living and mobility the decision notice states "It is inappropriate to fix a term" The Judge at the Tribunal said I should be aware this meant that the DWP could order a re-assessment at any time and the Tribunal had no say as to when they might do this. But she also said there was a 'light touch' approach once I reach pensionable age. I'm 64 next month and my retirement age is 66. Is it likely they might force me to be assessed again before then? The conditions I have are chronic and my health can really only remain stable or get worse. I'm worried the whole process might start all over again and I really don't want to go through the stress of the past ten months (from being informed DLA was ending to Tribunal yesterday) again if I can possibly avoid it.

Are there any other knock-on areas I am unaware of?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 18,398 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Great news. Yes, it can take 8 weeks to receive back dated money and about the same time to put your award into payment. If you receive it before that and some do then it's a bonus. There's really no timescales, it's just a guide and nothing more.

DWP usually share information with your local council but once the award is in payment then you should tell them. Your PIP award will mean that you won't receive any non dependent deductions with your housing benefit. Council tax reduction will depend on your local council because they all have their own rules regarding that but there maybe a reduction in your band, you will need to contact them to find out. I have no idea what WRT is, sorry.

Enhanced disability premium will be paid from the date of the PIP award, when ever that is. You won't be entitled to severe disability premium unless your partner and anyone else in your house over the age of 18 claims a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care. Your partner could claim carers allowance for looking after you but that will depend on their circumstances.

inappropriate to fix a term, could be a 10 year award.

Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • scotleagscotleag Member Posts: 53 Connected
    Thank you very much Poppy. That's most helpful. Good news about the enhanced premium as that'll be four months between backdated award and me going on it via ESA. For council tax I already get what I think is the maximum rebate. I pay around £370 per annum, not sure of exact figure but it's just over £30 pcm

WRT is with regard to. The modern world is full of confusing abbreviations and acronyms. 

I'm not entitled to severe disability premium. My wife doesn't have any PIP or DLA. I've tried to look at the circumstances in DWP guides and charity websites in which she might qualify as a carer but it seems very confusing. If I've read it right it has to be 35 hours per week. How does that work for people who are together almost 24/7? Would she have to log timesheets regarding cooking meals, assisting with bathing and dressing, going outdoors and travelling with me? Is it actual care or being on hand in case of emergency. I'm thinking here of my mobility award which is for planning and following journeys and says I need the assistance of another person. Would for example simply being on a train with me constitute caring or would it only count if I actually needed assistance during the journey? Her circumstances at the moment are that she writes the occasional article for a monthly magazine but payment is poor and certainly not anywhere near the £123 pw I've seen mentioned in DWP guides. In fact you could knock the first digit there off and it still wouldn't reach the £23 left.

That's (possibly) very good news regarding the term of award. Will I find out when I receive the DWP notice? I mean, will they state a date for review on the letter or will I still be left in the limbo of never being quite sure what it means? I could certainly do with avoiding the stress of what's almost a year now (though I appreciate that's not as long as some people have had to put up with)

I'm sorry for having to ask all these additional questions but PIP seems such a minefield compared to DLA. With the latter I received an award 20 years ago and other than annual uprating notices that was that. Through stupidly on my part I never thought to ask for a review when I developed conditions additional to that which qualified me. It's possible I may have been put onto the higher rates (I had lower rate care and nothing mobility) a decade ago.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 18,398 Disability Gamechanger
    You're welcome,

Carers allowance, no she wouldn't need to fill out time sheets. I'm sure because she's your partner then she does care for you for the required amount of time.

She can claim online as that's the quickest way. Payments for this are confusing but you will be £36.85 per week better off if she claims carers allowance. Your  ESA will be deducted £1 for £1 by the carers allowance payment. They then add the carers premium which is £36.85 per week. Then carers allowance will pay her the £66.15 per week. It will be the £36.85 per week that will be backdated and not the full carers allowance amount.

Basically, PIP awards standard and Enhanced daily living are the same as mid/high rate care DLA.

Hope this helps a little more.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Thank you. I'm still a bit confused. Would I be right in saying if she claimed then she would receive £66.15 but my ESA payments would be reduced by £29.30? That would make the net gain £36.85.
    To make it less confusing, Claiming carers allowance your ESA would be £148.20 per week. Then carers allowance would be paid to your partner... £66.15 per week.
    Thanks Poppy. Nice and clear. My only problem now is convincing my wife that what she does anyway is worth claiming for.
  • welshypipguywelshypipguy Member Posts: 8 Listener
    scotleag said:
    PIP seems such a minefield compared to DLA.
    Couldn't agree more @scotleag. Hi all, I've been reading this forum since May last 2019 after I had the dreaded 'apply for PiP' letter. Helped me a lot in answering my questions.

My experience was thankfully short, compared to many, but no less stressful. I went from recieving low/mid DLA to being awarded just standard mobility on Friday 13th September 2019. Double gut punch on the 14th, the SDP & EDP of my ESA(IC) withdrawn. I wasn't happy as I suffer severe OCD with depression and anxiety plus other conditions that would take too long to list. Point is, I appealed on Monday 16th September 2019. Declined on Thursday 10th October and the previous award stands.  Tribunal launched through online form on Saturday 26th October. Hearing was Friday 7th February 2020. Awarded standard Daily Living and enhanced Mobility.

Just so relieved as the stress was so bad....  let's just say with my OCD, the tribunal wasn't the only thing I wanted to end. Yes, everyday is a battle to stay alive with my sometimes outrageous compulsions, other times disturbing obsessions.

Anyway, this weekend is a fab weekend and apologies dwelling on my other issues. My question is, because I received DLA up to and including 2nd October 2019, would I be entitled to backdated payments from that date onwards to whenever my new payment comes into effect?

Thanks
    My DLA ended on July 23rd and my PIP award is backdated to July 24th. I also moved on to EDP on Nov 29th after an ESA re-assessment and my understanding (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) is that I will also be entitled to EDP from July 24th as well so am due back pay from that date until Nov 28th, the day before I started receiving it with my ESA.

So I'd imagine you will be due standard daily living and the balance between enhanced and standard mobility from the day following your last DLA payment and because you have standard daily living your disability premiums should be restored and backdated too.

I THINK that's right but don't take it as gospel until someone with more experience confirms or amends
    @welshypipguy hi and welcome,

Great news. May i ask what DLA award you were receiving? As you say low/mid. Also what group are you in for ESA because if it's the Support Group then the EDP should not have stopped when you were refused PIP. The EDP is automatically paid to the in the Support Group, If you're receiving Income Related ESA or Contributions based with an income related top up.

If you were in the WRAG then you need to be claiming high rate care DLA or Enhanced daily living PIP.

For the SDP, if the criteria still applies to you then you will be backdated that from the date it stopped but you will need to reclaim it once your PIP award is in payment.

Thank you Poppy!

My DLA was mid rate care, low mobility.  The DWP originally awarded me standard mobility for PiP but since then the Tribunal has awarded me standard daily living and enhanced mobility.  My ESA is always one I've never been entirely sure of. I'm in the work related group as I have to contact the Job Center every six months.  Also, thanks for the very quick reponse from you both :smile:
    Thanks for answering that. As you were claiming mid rate care DLA then you shouldn't have been claiming the EDP on your ESA because it will have needed to be high rate care. The same as PIP, you won't qualify for the EDP when in the WRAG because you need Enhanced daily living PIP to qualify. See link and scroll down to Enhanced disability premium eligibility for confirmation.

For the SDP if you still live alone and your circumstances haven't changed then yes you will be entitled to this.

Thanks for the link and I've seen the rates here as well

As usual Poppy I've made a mistake in not checking my facts. I actually recieved Disability Premium and SDP not EDP.

You have been very helpful. Thank you :)
    No, this isn't correct either. The disability premium of £34.35 per week is not payable when claiming ESA. The only premiums that are available with ESA are EDP and SDP.

Take a closer look at the link above and it says this,  If you get income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) you can only get the severe or enhanced premium.

I know my advice is 100% correct because i claim Standard daily living and Enhanced mobility. I'm in the Support Group for ESA (income related) the disability premiums that i claim are EDP and SDP. I'm unable to claim the disability premium because i claim ESA.

The only disability premium you'll qualify for is the SDP.

When you were receiving DLA if your claim for ESA started before April 2017 then your weekly payments should have been £168 per week. This includes SDP.

If your ESA claim started after April 2017 then you should have been receiving £138.95 per week. Your DLA award will mean you'll receive the same amount of ESA. This includes SDP.

If you're in the Support Group then your ESA will be £194.30 per week. This includes EDP and SDP.

Hope this is a little more clear.
  • lulu1949lulu1949 Member Posts: 29 Courageous
    Hi, I am Appointee for my son and we are waiting for our appeal, can anyone tell me what it is like. The assessment my son had was so so unfair and untrue and he is unable to walk 4 steps without horrendous pain after 15 operations but the DWP are saying he can walk 20 to 50 metres? Can anyone please give me advice. 
    When you were receiving DLA if your claim for ESA started before April 2017 then your weekly payments should have been £168 per week. This includes SDP.

Hope this is a little more clear.
    Thanks Poppy, the numbers add up. That's the very one I was receiving.  This is where I get confused as it's constant figures and different componants. You've been amazing. Thanks for helping!
    You're welcome :)
    To make it less confusing, Claiming carers allowance your ESA would be £148.20 per week. Then carers allowance would be paid to your partner... £66.15 per week.
    My apologies. I meant to ask this at the time but it slipped my mind. My PIP award has been backdated more than six months. I've been on ESA Support Group for over two months and as I understand it Carer's Allowance can be backdated three months. So if my wife were to apply and be successful there would be a period where I'd already been paid in excess of £148.20 pw - i.e. from the date I was moved into the SG at the end of November. Obviously there would have to be a sum repaid. How would that work? Would they expect repayment in total or would there be a fortnightly deduction from ESA?
    Carers allowance can be backdated to the start of the PIP award, providing your partner wasn't working and earning the maximum amount at that time.

The deductions will still be the same, regardless of which group you were in. The backdated money you'll receive will be £36.85 per week. There won't be an overpayment for you to worry about because that's not how it works.
    I hate to use this overworked word but WOW is the only response I can give to that. She's been doing a bit of freelancing but nowhere near the permitted limit. Now all I have to do is to persuade her to claim for what she's already doing. That's the hard bit - "it's in sickness and in health" she told me when I raised the issue. "Why should I be paid to look after you?"
    There's probably a lot of people that would say the same thing but in a "normal world" would she do everything she does for you if you didn't have a disability? I claim carers allowance for my daughter, she's 19 and if she didn't have a disability i wouldn't have to do as much as i do for her.

Carers allowance also pays class 1 NI Contributions which is a good thing.
    I can’t get careers allowance for looking after my son because I am 71 years old
    lulu1949 said:
    I can’t get careers allowance for looking after my son because I am 71 years old

Those claiming state pension can't be paid the carers allowance because of the overlapping benefit rules. However, it may still be worth claiming it because you may have an underlying entitlement to it, which could increase any means tested benefits you may already be claiming or you could become entitled to them.
    Thanks poppy , I don’t claim any benefits at all
    There's probably a lot of people that would say the same thing but in a "normal world" would she do everything she does for you if you didn't have a disability? I claim carers allowance for my daughter, she's 19 and if she didn't have a disability i wouldn't have to do as much as i do for her.

Carers allowance also pays class 1 NI Contributions which is a good thing.
    Just had a thought. If my wife claims this and her claim is accepted would that trigger off a move to Universal Credit? I know from using benefit calculators that would make us £15 pw better off but there are so many frightening stories about it and the wait involved before payment - five weeks isn't it? 
    edited February 12
    No, it won't prompt a move to UC because carers allowance isn't part of UC. Some people are better off on UC.

Yes, there's a 5 week wait but you can apply for an advance payment but this will need to be repaid back from future UC payments.

If you're claiming housing benefit then this would continue for 2 weeks then be transferred to UC. IF you claimed UC your partner wouldn't need to claim Carers allowance because the carers element of UC can be paid without claiming carers allowance. The only advantage to claiming carers allowance would be the class 1 NI contributions that it pays, where as UC pays class 3.
    Ah, that's good to know. She can claim (if I can convince her to) and we wouldn't change to UC unless via managed migration. Be £15 pw worse off in theory but if you haven't had it then you can't miss it
  • skullcapskullcap Member - under moderation Posts: 199 Courageous
    lulu1949 said:

Those claiming state pension can't be paid the carers allowance because of the overlapping benefit rules. However, it may still be worth claiming it because you may have an underlying entitlement to it, which could increase any means tested benefits you may already be claiming or you could become entitled to them.
    That seems to be rather odd. If you have cared and looked after say your husband you would be entitled to Carers Allowance. Yet on the day that you start to receive the State Pension you can't? You will have paid into the system to collect the pension so what has changed other than age? Effectively you get a deduction from the state pension of £66 a week if you were allowed to claim it.

skullcap said:
    lulu1949 said:

That seems to be rather odd. If you have cared and looked after say your husband you would be entitled to Carers Allowance. Yet on the day that you start to receive the State Pension you can't? You will have paid into the system to collect the pension so what has changed other than age? Effectively you get a deduction from the state pension of £66 a week if you were allowed to claim it.

No, you don't have a deduction in your state pension if someone claimed carers allowance at this age because you can't claim it. I don't make the rules, i just give the advice.
    Just an update to this. I've had a call from the DWP this morning and they'll be sending out a letter with details of award and payment dates on Monday (which I'll probably receive a week or so later judging by past experience). Today is just ten days after the Tribunal so by the standards of the usually glacially-moving DWP this is a Usain Bolt level of response. One very happy bunny here though I'll wait to receive full details before popping the lemonade corks.
    Congratulations @scotleag 10 days is lightning fast. I'm hopeful as my Tribunal was two days after yours.
    Thanks @welshypipguy Let's hope it's as quick for you. Wouldn't seem to be any reason why not. Still in a bit of a daze here. It's 24 days since I got notice of my tribunal date. This time a month ago I was resigned to a long haul into the summer & possibly autumn.
    That's exactly how I felt @scotleag and couting the days/weeks/months has become second nature  :) May I ask, did you contact the DWP about your award before you received the letter? 
    I haven't received the letter yet. It's being sent out tomorrow. I contacted DWP the day after the appeal just to make sure they had received the tribunal decision. That's all. They said they had. Then I got the phone call yesterday morning to confirm my details and told letter will go in post tomorrow. I don't know any more than that. Not when backdated will be paid in. Not when regular payments will be. Not length of award. Nothing. Just waiting for post, probably towards end of week or even next week before I receive it - though I'll be checking bank account as money may well go in before I receive formal notification.
    Fingers crossed you'll definitely receive the letter at the end of the week :). I'm thinking of phoning them tomorrow to update my details and asking them if they've received it (even though I know by now they have :D)
    Received both letter and payment this morning. Letter dated Feb 16th (last Sunday!). So it took four working days. Paid in full from start date until yesterday with first regular payment four weeks from yesterday and every four weeks thereafter. Review date AFTER June 12th 2029 (nothing specific) which is exactly ten years after initial assessment and if I'm still around I'll be 73 years old. 

However my joy is not unbounded. My regular fortnightly ESA should have been paid today and it hasn't. AFAIK these benefits are not connected and I've had nothing else in writing so why would my payment not have arrived/be stopped. I've been on ESA since March 2017 and was transferred from WRAG to Support Group at the end of November last year. 
    @scotleag glad to hear you've received payment for the PIP.

Regarding your ESA sometimes a PIP award can suspend a benefit, which happens a lot. It also happens for housing benefit too because DWP share information with local council and vise versa.  You'll need to ring DWP to ask them for a same day fast payment to be made and you'll receive your money before midnight tonight, but usually it's paid within a few hours. Hope this helps.
    @poppy123456 Thank you for this. Why would they suspend any benefit though? AFAIK PIP isn't means tested so should have no effect on any income-related benefit like ESA or housing benefit - unless it puts me over the 6K savings limit and I thought that was discounted for a while as though backdated PIP is a lump sum it is exactly that - backdated. It's money that SHOULD have been paid earlier and if so wouldn't have put me over the savings limit. Last housing benefit payment was around a week or so ago so at least there's no danger of an immediate stop to that.

I'll put in the dreaded call to the DWP but make myself a cup of tea and find a book to read while facing the inevitable 40 minutes or longer wait for them to answer. Obviously with PIP being paid I don't actually NEED the ESA payment right now but I do want to get it sorted out.

Also, short of my health improving - which would mean cures being developed for rheumatoid arthritis, epilepsy and glaucoma - is there any way they can change this review date? If not then I might just play some music from a band I haven't listened to for a long time - Ten Years After (google, kids) 
    You're welcome,

It's just something that happens, even though PIP isn't means tested. I'll guarantee that it happens every time and cause stress to so many people because they think the worst, naturally.

You're correct your backdated money is disregarded for 1 year for all means tested benefits, if it takes your savings to more than £6,000.

Making a cup of tea before the call sounds like a good idea. I'd also recommend some ear plugs so you can't hearing that awful music :D

Sorry but i'm not understanding your question regarding the review date. 10 years is the maximum award length for PIP. Unless you mean your ESA award and for this they can reassess you anytime from 3 months.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. My PIP award letter says "We will contact you after 12 June 2029 to make sure you are receiving the right level of Personal Independence Payment" I'm just wondering if there's any way short of sudden miracle cures they can alter that.
    Hold that result. Just went into my account to pay off credit card and ESA now there as per usual. Still one query though. I thought I would be entitled to Enhanced Disability Premium of ESA? I've been in receipt of this since late November when I was moved to support group but was on WRAG for 18 weeks from date of PIP award until move to SG
    It's unlikely that the 10 year award will be changed but the same rules apply for PIP as they do for ESA, they can reassess you anytime.

I do believe i gave you advice on a thread some where regarding the EDP. It's awarded when in the WRAG if you're claiming Enhanced daily living only.
    @poppy123456 Yes, thanks, I think you did. I'm receiving daily living AND mobility so that would explain no back payment for EDP. Thanks again.
    You misunderstood me. I didn't mean just daily living. I just looked back on your first comment and see you're receiving Enhanced daily living, as i did previously advise that the EDP should be backdated for when you were in the WRAG for those weeks.
    @poppy123456 Oh, thank you. Sorry to keep asking questions but as both PIP & ESA are administered by the DWP would they do this automatically or do I need to contact them? I really do appreciate your advice and assistance with this and while I can only speak from personal experience, not a particular knowledge of the benefits system, hope that there will be occasions when I can put something back in that might help others.
    You're welcome and no worries. The benefit system isn't exactly easy to get your head around.

If you were in the WRAG now then i'd ad say it would automatically be paid but because you're not then you may need to ring them to ask for it to be paid and back dated to when you were in the WRAG, It's £24.10 per week (couples rate)
    Ah, thanks, never thought about that - the change between the two groups. It's over £400 for the period I was in WRAG and date of PIP award so I'll give them a call this afternoon - and the council too re housing benefit and council tax. I'm on maximum rebate for both and while the DWP should inform them and it shouldn't affect anything I'll be on the safe if I tell them myself. Thanks once again.
    Double nightmare. Wen through the process of informing council online. Got to the 'report a change in income' page and saw they already had my PIP details so checked no to all boxes asking for changes as PIP was the only one. Then got a message saying I needed to inform them of a change. Then the page hung. No way to cancel. Phoned council, promised a call back as person who could deal with it was at lunch. No call back received.

Next, ESA re EDP. Must have got the new starter. First, she mixed up EDP with SDP. Then when that got sorted she told me I was already getting EDP. I explained that was only from November when I moved to SG. Then she told me there was no entitlement to EDP when I was in WRAG. Explained again I was inquiring about receiving it as I was on PIP. Eventually she got back to me and said there were TWO letters going out today but she didn't know what was in them and to call back a week tomorrow if not resolved by then.

My last post was at 1.32 pm. This is at 3.40 pm. Barring the two minutes it's taken to write this that's what I've been doing for over two hours
    scotleag said:
    Received both letter and payment this morning. Letter dated Feb 16th (last Sunday!).
    Well done on making it through @scotleag. I'm sure your ESA will sort itself out.  I decided to phone PIP on Monday 17 Feb and ESA the following day and...... I received both my backpay (Friday Feb 21st (PIP) and Monday Feb 24th (ESA)) and half a ton of brown envelopes (same dates) outlining PIP and ESA.  It's until the end 2022 but for the here and now I'm happy. As of yesterday (24th Feb 2020) it completes 41 weeks and 6 days since Tuesday 7 May 2019.
    The benefit system isn't exactly easy to get your head around.
    Absolutely true @[email protected]

Thanks guys :)

Congrats @welshypipguy 41 weeks and 6 days actually seems lightning fast compared to most. I've been told my case was fast but mine started around a month before you. Haven't had masses of brown envelopes yet. Just the award letter. Still awaiting letters sent out last Friday but that's no surprise. Still no sign of EDP back money And still trying to persuade my wife to claim carer's allowance or at least carer's credit. She's a bit behind with NI. Not a fantastic amount but she'll be down around £10 pw when she reaches retirement age and the cost of catching up is prohibitive. If she could get NI paid from date of commencement of my PIP award that'll be over three years worth of stamps. 

That in itself presents another issue. I'll hit the pension mark six months before her and at that point if she isn't claiming the allowance or credit I may well have to claim UC for a few months until she joins me and I'd really like to avoid that if I can. At the moment state pension for a single person is running slightly behind what we receive in ESA as a couple. If it catches up in next two years then I can avoid claiming UC but if not then I'll have to. 

My thinking here is based on the belief my wife can claim the allowance until HER pension age, not just until mine. Even of the latter it would still enhance her pension rights over two and a half years. @poppy123456 is right. The system is a labyrinth.

@scotleag if your wife claims carers allowance then it will continue until she reaches state pension age, regardless of your age. She will be the one claiming it and not you.

When you reach state pension age of course your ESA will stop because it's a working age benefit. When you receive your state pension because of the new pension credit rules, you won't be able to claim this until your wife reaches state pension age. You would then need to claim UC as a couple and your state pension will be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC amount.

When your wife claims her state pension then pension credit maybe possible, which will increase your income.
    @poppy123456 Thanks for confirming rules re carer's allowance. I'm not sure what you mean by £1 foe £1 deduction. If I've read it right then my pension would be deducted from what we were entitled to as a couple on UC which I presume would be the equivalent of what we receive on ESA. Currently the pension for a single person is about £9 pw  behind what we receive in ESA. That should narrow over the next two years as the 'triple lock' applies to pensions but not other benefits so pension increases will be greater than ESA. 

Say it comes down to £5 - purely for example's sake - then this would, if I'm right, mean a five-week wait to receive it on UC. if I receive the pension at 66 and it's just the extra fiver a week that's not so bad. But if it means ESA stops on my 66th birthday and we then have to wait five weeks for ANY payment it's a different story.

On the final point I doubt we'd be eligible for pension credit when my wife reaches pension age. I'll get 100% pension and while she's a bit behind with NI she's still on course for around 90%. I'd imagine that's well in excess of any pension credit 'top-up.'
    £1 for £1 simply means that if your pension is £166 per week then this is what will be deducted from any UC entitlement. I have no idea what your pension amounts are but for pension credit then if your state pension is than £255 ish (April 2019 rates) then pension credit will top up your income. Although carers allowance can't be receive at state pension age then it's worth claiming it still because you'll receive an underlying entitlement to it, which means that you could be entitled to other benefits, such as Pension credit and help with your rent.

When the times comes for you both to receive your state pensions then face to face expert advice will definitely be useful.

Thanks @poppy123456 That's not so bad. Means it's only the 'top-up' would come from UC so a five-week wait wouldn't be that bad. Once my wife receives her pension then we'd be above £255. Current pension is £168.60 so I'd get that and she'd get about £150 when she reaches 66. I'll talk to her again about carer's allowance but she's highly reluctant. Think I mentioned earlier she simply quoted 'in sickness and in health' at me. 
    Damn- No sooner posted that when I realised that housing benefit would also form part of UC so a five-week wait would be quite a problem after all.
    scotleag said:
    Damn- No sooner posted that when I realised that housing benefit would also form part of UC so a five-week wait would be quite a problem after all.

Housing benefit will be paid for a further 2 weeks when you claim UC. After this it will stop and transfer to UC. Advance payments are possible but you need to pay this back from future UC payments.
    Thanks @poppy123456 If I didn't claim UC when reaching pension age  do you know if  housing benefit would just continue as it is  now? And if I did claim it what would happen with housing benefit when I stopped claiming UC when my wife reached pension age? 
  • emmathelaughingcowemmathelaughingcow Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi everyone on the 5th March I won my appeal for pip. I've read on other comments about ringing them asking about payment and bank details. However I can't find the numbe to ring.
    Anyone also due to challenge pip do it I scored 0 on my assessment and got standard for both. Back date from last March ☺
    Congratulations Emma. I was paid fifteen days after appeal so here's hoping they can sort yours out quickly too
    Hi everyone on the 5th March I won my appeal for pip. I've read on other comments about ringing them asking about payment and bank details. However I can't find the numbe to ring.
    Anyone also due to challenge pip do it I scored 0 on my assessment and got standard for both. Back date from last March ☺

I answered your question on your other thread here https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/69755/hi-my-name-is-emmathelaughingcow#latest

Sign in or join us to comment.