DLVA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLVA

mandi13022018
mandi13022018 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
hello - i was awarded hrm by tribunal in dec 2019 which was backdated to aug 2018,when i first made my claim, does anyone know if i can claim backdated vehicle tax exemption back to aug 2018 - also, i am a single parent and use my car for work - which directly benefits my daughter for whom the DLA is awarded - can i justifiably claim the exemption? thank you for helping me out in advance......

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others. If you claim the free road tax then the car can only be used for the purpose of your daughter, she doesn't need to be in the car for every journey though. Whether this would allow you to use the car for work purposes then i'm unsure. It does state on this link here that It must be only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs. That means the vehicle can’t be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @mandi13022018, is there anything else we can do to help?
    Scope

• skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous
    Close to where I used to work there was an access road that linked two major motorways. Every month/week there would be a police stop organised by the DVLA, HMRC and the police. One of the things that people were caught out on was driving home from work in a car where the vehicle had already been flagged up as one that was exempt from road tax (disability car) The driver was always prosecuted as not having Road Tax after telling them that they were not the disabled person. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.