CA and universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

CA and universal credit

chinock91
chinock91 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
I was on the old system and due to start work which unfortunately feel through and now have to make a claim for UC for me and my partner. We have a son who has autism so currently getting dla and my partner gets carers allowance for caring for him. How will these benefits be effected by going on to UC it's confusing do we get changed to carers element and disabled child element or remain the same ? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,329 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Your partner will still be entitled to carers allowance but it will be deducted £1 for £1 for your UC amount, the same as it was when you were claiming the old legacy benefits. The carers element will be added but you need to report that your partner is a carer when you claim.

You will receive the standard element for a couple, child element and disabled child element, as well as any housing element that you maybe entitled to.

If you're claiming housing benefit now then this will be paid for a further 2 weeks once you claim UC and then transfer across. Do be aware that when you claim UC there will be a 5 week wait for your first payment.

You can ask for an advance payment when you claim but you will need to pay this back from future UC payments.

Best thing you can do is to put all your details into a benefits calculator and it will tell you how much you're entitled to. If put in correctly they are quite accurate.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chinock91
    During the application I selected that my partner is caring for our son. Do we get disabled child element as well as our dla ? 

Also do you know if we will continue to receive carers allowance and dla for example we're due a dla payment in two weeks before our 5 week wait period for our first UC payment will we still get this as normal ?
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2020
    DLA is not part of UC and you will continue to receive this as normal. Carers allowance will also be paid as normal. 

You will receive the child element and disabled child element, as well as the couples standard allowance and housing element, if you need help with your rent.

The carers allowance will be deducted from your UC amount.

Did you put all your details into a benefits calculator like I advised? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @chinock91. Sorry to hear the job fell through. How are you getting on? As Poppy said, you'll continue to receive Carer's Allowance, DLA for your child and child benefit separate to your UC.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • chinock91
    I'm getting on ok but I'm worried about the amount were expecting to receive. I went for my first appointment today and requested an advanced payment do you know if the amount offered is the amount expected to receive on my first payment ?
  • poppy123456
    They will estimate what your UC payment will be and base the advance payment on that.

How much UC you're entitled to will depend on your circumstances. Do be aware that the advance payment will need to be repaid back each month from your UC amount.

Use a benefits calculator and it will tell you what you're entitled to. Do be aware that the calculator is only as accurate as the information you put into it.

• chinock91
    The benefits calculator estimated me getting 1409 UC but I was only offered 958 today ?
  • chinock91
    The benefits calculator estimated me getting 1409 UC but I was only offered 958 today ?
  • poppy123456
    Is that amount with the carers allowance deductions?
  • Adrian_Scope
    edited February 2020
    Hi @chinock91. It’s quite complicated but they used to base advances solely on entitlement but when they dropped the repayment rates from 40% to 30% of standard allowance, affordability altered the amount offered.

They also no longer calculate children in the advances offered until they’ve verified them, which can take a bit of time. It’s not guaranteed but you might find in a few days if you log onto your account and press the “advances” button, that there’ll be extra available for you to borrow. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • chinock91
    @Adrian_Scope so they alter the amount offered in the advancement based on affordability ? I also have another issue I requested that my housing element goes straight to my local council but they've said they'll send 289 a month to my council but my rent is 340 a month ?
  • poppy123456
    Do you have a spare bedroom?
  • chinock91
    No I've only got a 2 bedroom.
  • Adrian_Scope
    That initial message is only a guide @chinock91. Until you get your statement you won’t know for sure what they’ll pay. It sounds as though they haven’t verified your child yet, so currently they’ve calculated your rent with bedroom tax. 
    Once they verify your child this will get sorted. It makes sense and ties in with the lower advance too. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.