If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Concerned about the Coronavirus?

We've put together some helpful information and advice about Covid-19 on our website.

You can also read about: improving your wellbeing, getting food and essentials and claiming benefits during this time.

PIP Assessment. Can I ask for a break? Can I use a laptop/tablet?

JeffreyDriverJeffreyDriver Member Posts: 6 Listener
Due to my numerous conditions can I request a break/rest as a reasonable adjustment? I know assessments are supposed to last around 60 mins, but I can see myself becoming exhausted with this, particularly if it was go on for longer. I would actually be unable to focus properly after a while. Does this need to be requested in advance?

My handwriting is poor, and takes me a while. Has anyone here taken in a laptop or tablet to write notes?

Replies

• woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 407 Pioneering
    You could perhaps request a "toilet" break that would give you five minutes, as for using a laptop or tablet personally I wouldn't advise that.
  • JeffreyDriverJeffreyDriver Member Posts: 6 Listener
    woodbine said:
    You could perhaps request a "toilet" break that would give you five minutes, as for using a laptop or tablet personally I wouldn't advise that.
    Thanks. Five minutes is unlikely to be enough for me to decompress. May I ask why you advise against the laptop/tablet?
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 18,398 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Assessments vary in length and can be anything from 15 minutes to over an hour, it really depends what questions they ask and how many.

I agree with woodbine about the laptop and i'd advise you to concentrate on answering the questions because there may not be time for you to do that and take notes at the same time. If you have someone that can go with you then maybe you can ask them to take notes.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • JeffreyDriverJeffreyDriver Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi,

Assessments vary in length and can be anything from 15 minutes to over an hour, it really depends what questions they ask and how many.

I agree with woodbine about the laptop and i'd advise you to concentrate on answering the questions because there may not be time for you to do that and take notes at the same time. If you have someone that can go with you then maybe you can ask them to take notes.
    Here's the thing. I have asperger's (along with ADD and other things) and it's really difficult for me to verbalize my thoughts. So it wouldn't just be me taking notes, but I would also like to put responses down in writing so I can read them.

I'm happy to be slow and methodical, but I will require breaks.

As an example, these posts here have taken me ages to write in a way that makes sense.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 18,398 Disability Gamechanger
    I wouldn't have thought that there would be enough of time for you to type what you wanted to say before answering the questions, doing this would mean the assessment could potentially take a few hours. That's not going to be possible. All of the information about how your conditions affect you should have been put in the form before returning it.

One of the reasons for these assessments is for you to verify what you wrote in the form as well as any additional information needed.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Firefly123Firefly123 Member Posts: 440 Pioneering
    You won't have to write anything during the assessment. Just go over your form you filled out. Have someone else with you that can help/ prompt you if needed with your answers. 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 3,703 Disability Gamechanger
    Have a look at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-1-the-assessment-process#identifying-claimants-who-require-additional-support-with-the-pip-process and in particular para 1.12.4 and also 1.6.63. Both will help you.

There’s no provision in the guidance for a break but that also means that nothing prevents it. My guess thought would be that most HCPs would end the appointment after 1 or 2 breaks as it rapidly becomes impractical to continue. Writing in advance about your needs is important though. They can allow extra time but won’t know they need to unless you describe the issue.

The assessment would be impractical using a device as you describe but what you describe really ought to have already been identified as suitable for a paper based hearing so I’d start by going to get some face to face advice about that.

Should the matter ever proceed to appeal then there’s no issue taking a device in provided there’s no live connection to the internet. You don’t need permission. However, I’d accompany that statement by saying that you would really need to be fair abs ask fir the appeal to be listed for half a day. 

Sign in or join us to comment.