Discretionary trusts — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Discretionary trusts

Options
starbuck
starbuck Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
If a disabled person is a trustee in a discretionary trust will any payments out of the trust affect means tested benefits? 
For example, if a person bought a house from the money in the trust would the dwp view this as capital and stop benefits? 
I know it's a very complicated area but wondered if anyone else had any experience of having a discretionary trust or being named in one. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi welcome to the community I dont know the answer yo your query but will tag in someone who may be able to assist . @poppy123456 can you help 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @starbuck, here is a guide about discretionary trusts for disabled beneficiaries. I hope this is helpful.
    By incorporating a discretionary trust into your Will, protects the means tested benefits of your disabled child or beneficiary under current rules and overcomes these barriers.
    The 
    trust is a formal legal arrangement whereby trustees hold money on behalf of the beneficiaries, in accordance with the terms of your will.
    Scope

• starbuck
    Options
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Money in a trust is only protected while it's in the trust. When funds are withdrawn it's no longer protected.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • starbuck
    Options
    So you would need to get permission from the dwp to buy a property from a trust?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    As soon as the money is taken from that trust it will be counted as savings. It's only disregarded if it remains in that trust.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • starbuck
    Options
    Ah ok. So purchasing a house would be the same as if the money had been left directly in the will, in that you would need written permission from the dwp that it wouldn't be deprivation of capital?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    That's correct because once it's released from the trust you will have access to it. If you're claiming for help with rent at the moment then i can't see there being any problems with deprivation of capital but of course i'm not the decision maker and only they can make that decision.
  • starbuck
    Options
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome :)
  • skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous
    Options
    starbuck said:
    Ah ok. So purchasing a house would be the same as if the money had been left directly in the will, in that you would need written permission from the dwp that it wouldn't be deprivation of capital?
    As a beneficiary there would be nothing wrong in having the money from the trust and then buying a home for yourself with it. All that has happened is that you have, for a very good reason, decided to secure yourself with a home with the money. It would be different if it was used to buy a second home. The money is still there albeit that it has been converted into property. Fortunately when buying a home to live in that asset is by its nature exempt from the DWP capital rules.

I would say that protecting the money in a Discretionary Trust is good, but it will not earn very much in the way of interest. Converting it into your principal private residence you will gain as property prices increase and none of that increase is subject to any DWP rule and you will not pay tax on it. It's a win win situation.

Anybody that has this situation is well advised to use every penny to buy the best, most expensive house they can find
  • starbuck
    Options

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.