Five places that offer a concessionary ticket for disabled people — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Five places that offer a concessionary ticket for disabled people

lukesamsowden
lukesamsowden Community member Posts: 3 Connected

Hi everyone, I'm Luke, a visually impaired blogger from Bradford. I have a hereditary eye condition called Retinitis Pigmentosa. This means that I also have from tunnel vision, night blindness and floaters, but it doesn't stop me from doing the things that I love.

I love meeting up with my Friends and doing something fun, but as someone who's on a low income, it can become incredibly expensive. So, I thought I’d tell you five of my favourite places that offer a concessionary ticket for disabled people as they're a great way to save a little bit of money.

What is a Concessionary Ticket?

A concessionary ticket is offered to a disabled person to enable them to enjoy the same experience as everyone else. It's usually offered free or at a significant discount so that they can bring someone with them if they require support.

Manchester Arena

Two medium white paper concert tickets that have Pussycat Dolls at Manchester Arena written in bold black writing on them on a white background

I might not be able to see properly, but there’s certainly nothing wrong with my hearing as I love listening to live music. Luckily the Manchester arena has a great selection of events as well as being totally accessible. Here are the access features that it has:

• A concessionary ticket
  • Disabled parking
  • Lift access from both the disabled car park and Manchester Victoria station
  • A box office with a lower counter
  • A designated wheelchair area
  • A hearing loop system
  • Disabled toilets all throughout the arena

To get a concessionary ticket, you need to fill out an application form before booking. The only trouble I had was booking a ticket. Their accessibility booking line is just an answering machine service, but they do ring you back.

Vue Cinemas

I love visiting the cinema and watching the latest releases, even though I can’t actually see most of the screen, I can still follow along with the story. Yes, I could use an Audio Description headset, but they tend to get on my nerves as they usually don’t work properly. To get a concessionary ticket, you have to show your CEA card when booking your ticket or entering the number on the card in the promotion box if you are booking online.

Hollywood Bowl.

A large rectangular neon blue sign that has Laurissa Jamie and Luke written in bold black writing on it on a white background

I hadn’t been bowling since I was a young teenager. However, when I went a couple of weeks ago, I had an amazing time, even though I did nearly break one of their bumpers! Unfortunately, their concessionary ticket terms are a little bit strange. You can only get one before 6pm on a weekday, except during the February, October and December school holidays. They do however have the following facilities:

• Level access at all their locations
  • Disabled toilets
  • Moveable ramps for getting on to the lines
  • Ramps to help you push the ball during the game

To get a Concessionary Ticket, all you have to do is ask when booking.

Sea Life Centre Scarborough

I don’t know why, but I absolutely love sea creatures, especially dolphins, penguins and seals. This is why I love visiting any kind of sea life centre. Luckily the one in Scarborough is accessible, because as well as offering a concessionary ticket they have these facilities:

• A totally accessible route around their centre
  • Disabled toilets
  • A lift to their restaurant and penguin island on the top floor

To get a Concessionary Ticket, all you have to do is show your proof of eligibility when booking.

Emmerdale Studio Experience

A light tan brick model Pub with a black sign above its black door white windows and a light brown bench outside it on a light background

I was very kindly invited to come and visit the studio experience when they first opened, and I had an absolute blast. Yes, quite a lot of it was visual, but parts of it like the plane crash simulation was amazing. Also, eating fish and chips in The Woolpack after the tour was brilliant. I was also really surprised to learn that it was totally accessible and have the following:

• Concessionary ticket free of charge
  • Disabled toilets
  • An accessible tour route for wheelchair users

To get a concessionary ticket, you can ask when making a booking.

There are a lot of other places that offer a concessionary ticket for disabled people, but I just thought I’d tell you my favourites. Here is my blog, Luke Sam Sowden, if you’d like to follow what I get up to!

What are some of your favourite places that offer a concessionary ticket? Where do you like to go and visit? Let us know in the comments below!

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome! 

I love Polesdon Lacey. In the summer we also like to walk around Box Hill and picnic there. We are long time members of the National Garden Scheme as well. I know that British zoos and museums have similar schemes for those with disabilities and families too. Many of the visitor attractions in Britain have wheelchair access and so on.

Have you ever heard of EuansGuide or not? I find the site a excellent source of important information and enjoy reading the reviews additionally. I particularly recommend this website. I fully concur with you. All you have to do is ask a member of staff for details. Nothing very bad can come of your request for information. Seriously. 

I always advise calling, emailing or looking on their website to check details of accessibility however in case. I have taken my family to Hollywood Bowl in Chessington lots of times. I find that the disabled lift is out of order half the time though. So we usually end up leaving. It is a shame however. I simply love your blog. I always love finding new places to visit with my family in tow for a day.

What could be better? I also have used the Travelling with Disability forum on TripAdvisor to gather information in the past. I am going to have to look at your blog now. Do you post reviews on your blog? 
  • lukesamsowden

Hi. I haven’t heard of it before but i’ll definitely check it out, and yes I post lots of reviews on my Blog. It’s a shame that the lift is constantly out of order, have you complained to them about it?

• April2018mom
    Yes. We are going there tomorrow. I’ll check then. 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for this interesting and helpful post, @lukesamsowden.  I enjoyed reading it.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • allLuck95
    allLuck95 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    this is a great post! I do have a question re: concession tickets.

can I get them because of me being on the Autism Spectrum? I always worry that these tickets are only available for wheelchair users (and for others with mobility difficulties/disabilities and deaf / hard of hearing). Since mine isn't a "visable disability" I always dread a comment or something especially since a doctor said years ago "but you look normal". Which is incredibly offensive so I apologise for reapeating.

thank you
  • lukesamsowden
    allLuck95 said:
    this is a great post! I do have a question re: concession tickets.

can I get them because of me being on the Autism Spectrum? I always worry that these tickets are only available for wheelchair users (and for others with mobility difficulties/disabilities and deaf / hard of hearing). Since mine isn't a "visable disability" I always dread a comment or something especially since a doctor said years ago "but you look normal". Which is incredibly offensive so I apologise for reapeating.

thank you
    Hi. I'm not entirely sure as different places have different requirements, but generally if you receive DLA or PIP you should qualify for one.
  • Shlbly
    Shlbly Community member Posts: 136 Pioneering
    Leas Cliff Hall in Folkestone Kent do concessions on a lot of things.
  • April2018mom
    What about art galleries?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.