Carers allowance — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers allowance

sophie99
sophie99 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi all, just a bit of advice if any..my son recieved dla last week and was backdated from november as it was middle rate i applied for carers allowance with the backdate date i put the date i applied but now i am told it should backdate from november does anyone know if it will backdate from the current date i wrote or the dla backdate? Thanks. Sophie.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Slightly confused with your question because it's not clear exactly what you're asking.

Are you saying that you applied for carers allowance for looking after your son and you put the date down as the current date you applied and not the start date of the DLA award?

When you applied for carers allowance one of the questions would have been, how long have you been caring for your son? Did you put the length of time down for this or did you put down the date it was when you applied?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sophie99
    I understand it is quIte confusing i didnt know how to word it right if im honest. Basically my question is how long will it be backdated from as i put the current date when it asked when do you want your backdate to start from even though when it asked about my caring i said how long for hope this makes sense.
  • poppy123456
    Now i understand, thanks for that. I'd advise you to ring Carers allowance and tell them you would like it to be backdated from the start of the DLA award.

Whether you'll receive the full amount backdated will depend what other benefits, if any that you're claiming.

Also if you were working at any point and earning more than £123 per week after deductions at anytime from the start of the DLA award then it won't be backdated to the start of the DLA award.

Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • sophie99
    Excellent, thank you! X
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.