Can I challenge the award length? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I challenge the award length?

Cloud
Cloud Community member Posts: 25 Connected
Hi, 
Can I challenge my award length? and if so, how do I go about it?   Would I risk losing my award/or points?

Is there a way of doing it without doing a MD?....a letter or phone call perhaps?  As it's only the award length I'm disputing not the points.

I sent my PIP review forms and evidence back and I've just received my award notice.  They have kept me on enhanced rate, for another 4 years.
However my condition will never improve and is a neurological progressive disease, and will only get worse.  I sent in evidence from 4 consultants and the neurosurgeon that I'm under with evidence that it is inoperable due to the location and that I could not tolerate radiotherapy and the reasons as to why. I also sent in brain scan reports that show each time it is growing.
I wondered as to why they thought my condition would 'change' in 4 years and my question is: - can I challenge the award length?

I would be grateful if someone knows if this is possible and if so how do I go about it.

I was really hoping for an ongoing award as the evidence states clearly there is no realistic chance of any improvement.  And the stress of continually going through this process is exasperating my existing conditions.
Thank you in advance.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    My advice would be that a four year award isn't bad, my condition will never change and I got only two years. If your condition doesn't change over the coming four years theres nothing to say you wont get another award.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @Cloud, hello and welcome, why would you or do feel you need to change the award length. Four years is a long time and by your award end date things regarding award times may or will have bee updated. Leave well alone and enjoy yourself knowing you don't have to go through this process till another four years 
  • Cloud
    Hi, and thank you for your kind replies.
    Don't get me wrong, I am grateful and relieved that I have got an award, and that I will be ok (hopefully) for 3 and a half years before going through the whole process again.  But I seem to remember a news article saying that DWP were not going to continue reassessing so often the people suffering from progressive conditions that will only deteriorate and not improve, that they were awarding a 10 year award with a 'lighttouch review'
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

A lot of people have conditions that won't improve and they don't have a 10 year award. My daughter is one of them. Enhanced for both parts was awarded twice and both times a 2 year award was given. There's no cure for ASD or a learning disability and she'll never improve.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Cloud I would try and go with what you have been awarded and the length rather than risk losing anything. I have a 5 year award and have lost my leg (which wont ever grow back) and also gone blind in one eye (again permanent ) along with other conditions. I agree 4 years is quite a long award as a lot as mentioned ate only 2 years
  • skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous
    edited February 2020
    What everyone should then have as a matter right is excellent access for all in a short time frame to 'an adviser who knows the law and case law'.
    Unless the government are willing to fund such professionals then that will never be the case. 
    In defence of most claimants they simply just accept that that level of advice and support is not available and therefore are apathetic in giving up before they start.
    Mike comes over as believing 
    that all is well and good with the current advice system. If he provides it it must be available to all wherever they live.
  • Cloud
    Thank you....and a special thanks to @Username_removed for taking the time to explain it all so well for me.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.