Hi, my name is Jomar1! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Jomar1!

Options
Jomar1
Jomar1 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I have a number of Illnesses and my GP and surgeon are impressed that I am managing to continue to hold down my job full time. I am getting to a stage where I'm worn out by Friday and unable to do anything all weekend and my pain is increasing. My only worry is if I stop work would I be able to claim benefits as my spouse works. He runs a small coffee shop, we are council tenants and by no means well off.  My financial situation is looked after by Stepchange debt management, I'd be lost with out them. Apart from the physical I suffer from depression and am worried because he works I will not be entitled. If I can claim the amount of benefits I get will not cover what I need to lay out. Everything is so confusing and unclear. I tried to fill in a calculator and it said I wasn't entitled!  But was told I had done it incorrectly 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Welcome to the community, have you considered asking for reasonable adjustments with your employer in order to remain inn employment this could be lighter duties, reduced hours the list goes on.

As for benefits it is entirely dependant on your circumstances and is hard for us to comment on what you would be entitled to. Also if you give up work voluntarily this cold mean you may not be entitled to claim any benefits. You need to seek expert advice before you do anything.

I can explain to you in more detail about how to go about reasonable adjustments or being dismissed on medical grounds if that's information you want  

I am sure other members will be able to advise you more  
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Hi @Jomar1 - Welcome to the community. Thank you for joining & saying about yourself. Following on from the good advice above, Scope also has a webpage online about work, including reasonable adjustments. I'll give the general link & then you could look through to see what may be appropriate to possibly help you. See: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/work-careers/
    It must be stressful feeling so worn out by the weekend & your pain increasing.
    As far as benefits go, have you looked at Personal Independence Payment (PIP), which isn't means tested. As a general introduction there's a section on Scope about this too. See: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/benefits/personal-independence-payment/
    I'll also ask my friend @thespiceman to please offer his advice about your depression, & to share his additional resources with you. :)

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Hello @Jomar1   Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Thank my friend @chiarieds tag.

I am one of the team of Community Champions and have mental health . Advise, community members with anything mental health and related including addiction and anything health wellbeing including diet and nutrition.

Please may I suggest the following mental health charities.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

All offer floating support, advice guidance, information on welfare, health, diet nutrition and benefits.

Might not be in some areas. You can self refer or speak to your GP.

Take clientele with additional disabilities, illness and problems.

Also services do support employees of companies work with those.

Please can I suggest and consider the following to help you with your depression.

Concerning diet and nutrition often helpful and useful.

Avoid alcohol, smoking.  Caffeine in tea, coffee cola and chocolates all stimulants more you consume worse the symptoms.

Eat lean meat fish, plenty of vegetables and fruit.  Beans pulses and whole grains Pasta, Bread, Rice.

Hope that helps any questions please ask. Always consult your GP.

Before starting any diet changes.

I would also speak to your GP about Community Health Unit has a wellbeing services , useful.

Stress and dealing with it can be harmful if not treated .

Stress relievers and advice.

1. Eat regular meals and healthy ones.

2. Practise forms of relaxation music, yoga or meditation.

3.  Face up to work or health problems do something about them.

Look on line for relevant support.

This one for pain is something worth looking at.

https://www.awaywithpain.co.uk.

Please contact me you mentioned other illnesses. There are organisations and associations, societies , support groups for most conditions, illness disability. Please ask me happy to find out for you.

4. Learn to recognise your strengths and weaknesses learn to say no. Every one has a limit.

5. Use hobbies, interests and gentle exercises.

6.Speak to therapists  counsellors. 

Please if I can help with anything please get in touch.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Jomar1
    Options
    Thank you for info I will check it out. I am registered disabled DDI or whatever it is called now by my GP. I suffer from clinical depression that I take medication for along with all my other meds! I get a lot of backing from my GP which is good but there are days I either can't face getting up because I am in pain or am so fed up of having to take meds to get me going! I have had counseling but wasn't right for me. I have attended COPE clinics which were hard to attend due to work. it seems everything is held during the day and it's hard to keep taking time out to take part. Thanks for replying 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Jomar1 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I'm really sorry to hear of your present situation and the fact you are in so much pain.  When I worked I used to suffer a lot of pain so I appreciate how debilitating this can be and all credit to you for keeping going.  I can imagine that at the weekends you just need to rest, but want to do things also.  I would definitely take on board the excellent advice given above by members as asking your employer to make reasonable adjustments for you at work may help you considerably and please try to look into the above provided links when you can for further support.  I know it is difficult to attend appointments through the day, but if you need to attend medical appointments for your own health then your employer should understand.  I used to find it useful to try to get an appointment either first thing in the morning or to take the last appointment in the afternoon so that I wasn't taking too much time away from my job.  

Also with regards to your pain, have you thought about attending a Pain Clinic?  You can be referred to one of these by your GP and they help you to manage pain a bit better.  It sounds as though your GP is very supportive and this is a really good thing.  I hope things get sorted out for you anyway and please stay in touch and let us know how you are getting on.  Please try not to worry, although I know this is easier said than done.  We are all here to support you on the forum so please chat to us anytime as there will always be someone here to listen.  If there is any way at all we can help/support you then you only just have to ask.  All the best.  :smile:

Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Jomar1
    Options
    Thanks , I have tried every form of pain relief and the pain clinic said there isn't anything left they can offer me so have referred me back to the care of my GP. I tried physio but ended up in more pain. I rattle when I walk due to the meds but beginning to think i've got use to them that they don't work like they use to. I was doing a trial that was sort of helping but it's not available yet but can buy it privately but it's to expensive but my GP is trying to see if I can take part in another trial . Thanks again for the message and advice and will keep you posted 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry to hear about all of this @Jomar1.  Yes, pain clinics aren't for everyone, but at least you tried.  I get what you mean about rattling when you walk as I too take a lot of tablets and sometimes feel this way and wonder if I have become immune to them working.  It can be really frustrating trying to conquer pain and many of us on here deal with this daily so can relate to what you are going through.  I hope your GP can find another trial for you to try soon.  It sounds as though he/she is very helpful.  No problem re advice as that is what we are here for, to support you anytime.  Yes, please do keep us posted and I wish you well in trying to find the best method to help you with your pain.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.