Esa and carers — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa and carers

Options
emmamwoo
emmamwoo Community member Posts: 2 Listener
My bro and his wife have been claiming together for years on esa. Last year they put in for Pip and was awarded it. They then put in for carers and have been waiting a year for a reply which they have now received and was told they have been awarded it but before anything else moves forward they are waiting for a decision from esa? Can anyone please tell me what this means? Thank you 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,025 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

The carers allowance will be deducted £1 for £1 from their ESA payments because they are classed as overlapping benefits and you can't claim them both together. ESA will then add a carer premium (£36.85 per week) to the ESA. Carers allowance will pay the person that's claiming this to them (£66.15 per week) This means that they will be £36.85 better off per week and it will be the carers premium that will be backdated (£36.85 per week) and not the full amount of carers allowance.

Complicated but hope it helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @emmamwoo Hello and welcome to the community, nice to greet new members. I hope th information Poppy has given you has answered your question. if you are not sure maybe best to call DWP and ask them what decision they are waiting on
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @emmamwoo and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I hope your brother and sister-in-law get the outcome they are looking for with their DWP benefits.  Please stay in touch and let us know how they get on.  If there is anything else we can help/support you with then please just ask.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.