Severe disability premium — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe disability premium

THBailey
THBailey Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hello all.
 Whilst checking my bank account on the 24th feb I realised my ESA disability premium of £66pw had been stopped. I phoned immediately to be told the reason was,  Id failed to return a IS10 form in time.
  I requested a call from the benefit centre which I received today, the 27th. The uptight belligerent lady said! The reason my premium had been stopped was because my 22yo unemployed son was living at my address! Now I dont know whats going on but its got me worried.
  Only a year ago I sat before a panel where they had all my up to date, fully declared information packaged by the senior C.A.B. advisor in Faversham. It was this panel that awarded me my benefit payment. In fact they increased my money because i was entitled to it. Any advice or questions would be welcomed, thank you.
  Regards. Trevor

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

If your son lives with you and he doesn't receive a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care or he's not registered as blind then you won't qualify for the SDP. To claim this you need to be living alone or classed as living alone and no one must be claiming carers allowance or the carers element of Universal credit for looking after you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • THBailey
    He receives some kind of benefit for unemployment, because the bone idle little sod is work shy.
  • poppy123456
    Unless it's any of the benefits i stated above then you won't qualify for the SDP. If he's been living with you since you started claiming it then you shouldn't have been awarded it.

I'm assuming he's either claiming Universal Credit, ESA or JSA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    You say a year ago you sat before a panel? I'm assuming this wasn't for your SDP claim because you don't usually take this to a Tribunal because it's a fairly simple straight forward disability premium to claim.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @THBailey Hello and welcome to the community, I am glad you have been given some advice regarding your query. I hope you manage to get it sorted 
  • THBailey
    Thank you Janer. I could do without the anxiety that its causing me
  • poppy123456
    I noticed you posted on my wall, what you had sounds like a work capability assessment, which isn't about the SDP. If you son moved in with you after you claimed the SDP then you should have reported the changes to DWP and then your SDP would have stopped. If this is what happened then it's possible you'll have an over payment which will need to be repaid back.

If in the future you do live alone and are still claiming the old legacy benefits and your PIP then you'll be able to re-claim the SDP.
  • THBailey
    I have challenged it already. My son has gone back to his old ways I haven't seen or heard from him in 6 weeks. I declared everything at the panel the CAB do all my paperwork & it was all up to date.
      Tbh they have confused & baffled me, i don't know whats going on.
  • poppy123456
    The SDP is a disability premium paid to those that live alone or are classed as living alone, when they claim either PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care. It's a separate benefit to ESA but is paid as part of it.  When your son was living with you, you wouldn't have been entitled to claim this.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.