Support in Leeds for child anxiety and autism — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Support in Leeds for child anxiety and autism

slpy83
slpy83 Community member Posts: 1 Listener

Just wondered if anyone is in Leeds and can offer me any advice on there experience with where to get help for their child.
Went to the doctors was told refer to Mindmate they said there isn't enough evidence so referred us to Jess Cluster. We've worked with Jess Cluster,  Catholic care, school nurse and the school had a meeting yesterday they all said they don't know what else to do and that a referral to Mindmate again but you'll be lucky if they see him before high school.
I'm stuck at where else I can get support for my child I've been fighting for the last 3 years and I'm right back at the beginning.

My son is in year 5 suffers with anxiety and lots of traits of been on the spectrum. 

Comments

• LouiseH
    LouiseH Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
    Hi @slpy83 sorry to hear you're struggling to get some support. It sounds like you're going around in circles. @Adrian_Scope could you help at all?

Louise 
    Louise Hesketh
    Community Champion
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @slpy83 and a warm welcome to the community. Has your son got a diagnosis or are you still working towards this? It can be very frustrating to have to fight for the right support and I'm sorry it sounds like you've had such difficulty getting this for your son.

Have you been in touch with the National Autistic Society at all? https://www.autism.org.uk/
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @slpy83, how are you doing? :)
    Scope

• Louise_Scope
    Louise_Scope Scope Posts: 11 Courageous
    Good morning. @slpy83 - I'm Louise and I work for Scope in Leeds running the Parents Connect service there. I've only just started accessing the forum so have only just seen your message.

A couple of things I can suggest. Firstly, have school initiated an Early Help Plan for your son? If not, then Scope can help get one set up. If you email leeds@scope.org.uk, they'll be able to have a chat with you.

Secondly, there are a few autism groups in Leeds that may be able to offer support. Both ZigZag and ABC are particularly good and it doesn't matter whether you have a diagnosis or not. Leeds Mencap may also be able to help with their Family Support service. http://www.leedsmencap.org.uk/support-for-adults/parents-carer-support-groups

Lastly, if you feel like you need support yourself, my service is here to help parents of children with additional needs. We are running some workshops during lock-down and will be doing face-to-face sessions once the crisis is over. If you need our help, please email us at parentsconnect.scope.or.uk

Hope that helps. :-)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for this @Louise_Scope! :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.