How worried are you about the Coronavirus? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How worried are you about the Coronavirus?

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
edited March 2020 in Coffee lounge
[POLL]

How worried are you about the Coronavirus? 28 votes

Not at all
17%
Topkittentommkevin52Adventiumoakridge 5 votes
Mildly
39%
exdvrApril2018momwoodbineMsbettyboopvikingqueenEricaMcD66MustangLouiseHcookie80anistycazfox77 11 votes
Quite
21%
misstraceyOverlyAnxiousBrightsidebecsneuromum4ShaunHMegk 6 votes
Very
21%
popiwavedancerAmi2301gaz1960CressidaJenCo 6 votes
Tagged:

Comments

• 66Mustang
    Mildly
    Just trying to gauge whether people think it is all hyped up in the news or whether they are really worried about it.

Thanks for voting.
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    Very
    I am very concerned.  I work in a hospital with doctors who have relatives working in Italian hospitals. If you are Italian and over 65 just hope you dont get the virus as there are not enough ventilators to cope with the demand. Those poor doctors are having to make difficult clinical decisions. We should be learning from them. A lot of people have their heads in the sand and no comprehension of how serious this is. I also take immunosuppressant drugs so am in a vulnerable group so will be working from home for the foreseeable future. Keep safe everyone.
  • 66Mustang
    edited March 2020
    Mildly
    Very interesting to hear a perspective from someone in your position Cressida - thanks for the post. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
    Mildly
    I'm following the story with interest, my attitude is "if i get it I get it" but its the potential financial chaos that interest me as well, as an example the day that covid19 hit the UK and before the FTSE started to tank I moved my biggest pension fund into cash, as I intend to cash it in this year I didnt want it exposed and it seems I did the right thing. I suspect that a number of airlines will go to the wall and that the days of cheap air travel are numbered, we were shopping in Tesco's today and whole isles were almost empty. When people get the message that social isolation is the best idea can you imagine how quiet the shops will be?

I hope we all stay safe, and if you can make sure your elderly neighbours/relatives are ok.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Brightsidebecs
    Brightsidebecs Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 88 Pioneering
    Quite
    Hi I know @Chloe_Scope did this earlier in the week but some new information has been added about the virus so thought I’d share! https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

I hope everyone stays safe and that we can look out for one another and our elderly friends/relatives. 

@Brightsidebecs

One of the community champions here ?
    Rebecca 
  • 66Mustang
    edited March 2020
    Mildly
    I didn’t realise this had already been done - I did have a look before posting but couldn’t find anything - sorry!

woodbine - my attitude is honestly similar to yours. I think eventually we will all be exposed to it so when it happens doesn’t matter - if I get it sooner or later then so be it. I have OCD so I have (too!) good hygiene practise already. Not much else that I can do at this point. 

As someone who used to have severe contamination OCD, and still has it a little bit, what I find interesting, and slightly frustrating, is how people are suddenly becoming more hygienic when their hygiene standards now should be normal practise, not exceptional behaviour for a situation like this!
  • 66Mustang
    edited March 2020
    Mildly
    Also @woodbine - I am quite a big follower of the stock market, it is one of my major interests (and one I seem to have gotten mocked for on here). Just want to say congratulations on selling up before this crash. I know that timing the market is incredibly hard so if you did sell when the FTSE was still at 7500, very very well done. It is now at 5,200ish...Today we had the third biggest drop in history - almost 11%...
  • woodbine
    Mildly
    @66Mustang I was shocked to the core tonight when out of interest I checked how shares in M&S were doing, £1.10 !!! I remember them at £5 and more recently they have been around £2, if they fall below £1 I can see the Chinese buying the whole company.

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,587 Disability Gamechanger
    Quite
    I'm quite worried at the moment...I have severe health anxiety and contamination OCD as well as an inability to cope with any sort of injury or illness as most on here will be aware of by now.  I'd also guess my immune system is pretty poor given my diet and low food intake.  So far there's only one case of Corona confirmed in my county though.  I'll upgrade the worry level to 'very' when more cases become apparent!

As I'm always terrified of catching illnesses from other people or being a carrier, this isn't really any different to worrying about colds, flu or Noro over winter for me.  At the moment I'm still more worried about those than Corona!

However the shortage of handwash and toilet roll is quite worrying, especially given my IBS issues - I don't even understand why people are panic buying loo roll, Corona is a respiratory virus, it doesn't give you the s**ts!  People should be panic buying tissues instead! :D
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I wasn't very worried until just yesterday. I now think it is very serious.
    There are so many implications ;

health becoming compromised or even fatal for some sadly

NHS problems worsening

school closures affecting parents ability to work

my carers being unable to come, but I do have my hubby

supplies of essential foods/meds becoming scarce

business being financially strapped for cash or even forced to close

There will be so many others

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Not at all
    As with most new viruses the normal "at risk" groups will be at risk, the elderly, the very young and the chronically sick. In my personal opinion the NHS is currently under pressure, at least in part, because of the perennial need to maintain life long after it has any point to it other than to satisfy the neurotic fear of death currently pervading our society. Perhaps the new pressure may open a few eyes to the fact that at some point there is no point maintaining a person who has no life to look forward to. I know everyone will have their own views on this and that's how things should be but maybe those of us who only have misery to look forward to can finally be heard.

As for the financial panic that always accompanies such apparent disasters as this, then most people should not be worried at all. Anyone facing retirement in the very immediate future should react but everyone else should remember that once the panic is over the recovery should allow any losses in savings or pensions to be recovered and maybe even get a better performance by using the recovering companies stock rise to bolster them. As for "many companies going to the wall".... only small companies or businesses with no future proofing built are at risk in the short period until this panic stops and recovery restarts. Larger companies such as Tesco's have merely switched from shop sales to delivery sales as evidenced by my recent problems in placing an absolutely necessary order.

People should not be so paranoid about death. We all must die sooner or later and to be frightened of such a natural occurrence has only come about because of fears regarding what comes next. My personal opinion based on the experience of dying twice and being in a coma for 8 days has shown me that nothing comes next, and that when we go we are gone for good. And yet I still wish that I could avoid the misery I am suffering and which will continue to get worse by getting it over with. Every one ofc is entitled to their own opinion on this but I suspect that others in a similar position to me will agree.

In the words of an old comedy program..... "Don't panic!!!!!!!!"

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Mildly
    I’m not fussed. I have not been paying much attention to the newsreports either. So I have no idea of the actual numbers. My mom called to check on me yesterday. But I have a mental list of fun and simulating activities for the kids. I find that it helps me to stay sane. We have plenty of board games and stuff to do at home. 
    This list includes card games, decorating pebbles, and educational activities too. Additionally I have now stocked up on art supplies this afternoon whilst I was in town doing some last minute shopping. And I purchased another cheap box of Kleenex tissues in case to use in public as well. 
  • woodbine
    Mildly
    @Topkitten having been at deaths door twice, I much prefer life for as long as is possible.
    As for the big guys like Tesco not being under threat you're absolutely correct, but there will be literally thousands of small and medium sized businesses that won't see this emergency out, and they mostly employ a number of people who will lose their jobs, they are the ones I feel sorry for.

• gaz1960
    gaz1960 Community member Posts: 292 Pioneering
    Very
    Well,if this is true,I'm screwed! 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8108735/Medicines-high-blood-pressure-diabetes-worsen-coronavirus-symptoms.html

At the doctors today for regular 3 months blood test results! 

Doctor didn't know about this article was published in the Lancet! 

Advice was,......keep taking the tablets! 
  • LouiseH
    LouiseH Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
    Mildly
    I'm not too worried about myself but more for my elderly parents. I only see them once a week but they are in their 70s and 80s and my dad at 82 has a bad chest. They have even bought these hideous looking masks ? but if it keeps them safe then so be it. They also live in community housing so there are people coming and going and communal areas where they live. 
    They've started wearing gloves when leaving the flat and going into any communal areas. 
    I work in retail and my housemate works with kids so there's opportunities to catch it, right there. 
    Louise Hesketh
    Community Champion
  • 66Mustang
    Mildly
    I agree, I am more worried for the elderly and vulnerable. My answer of “mildly” is based on myself.

A family member who was in a medical profession told me if you want to wear a mask then it is only effective for about 15 minutes, then you need to change it for a new one.

I also heard that wearing gloves is not a good idea as you don’t wash your hands with gloves on, so it just provides a surface for germs to breed. The best thing to do is just wash your hands.

Obviously everyone gets their own advice and does what makes them feel comfortable, I’m just sharing what I’ve been told myself.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,587 Disability Gamechanger
    Quite
    There seems to be an awful lot of contact avoidance going on now, with offices, Universities, sports venues etc all closing...  I wonder if benefits assessments and tribunals will be postponed before long...afterall, a lot of people going to them will be vulnerable!
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    My sis and hubby were due to go on a cruise for his 70th at the end of the month. Yesterday they were told the 70+ folk wont be allowed to board ships.

Then today they we were told it would be cancelled for all.....I think thousands of people are in the same `boat`...or not!

They have saved and got so excited and counted the sleeps down. Yes, they can take another sometime, but this was so special.

Looks like covid 19 is in every country now.

Yes, it will die out eventually, but at what price? People and businesses and jobs will be lost...never to recover.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,367 Disability Gamechanger
     I wonder if benefits assessments and tribunals will be postponed before long...afterall, a lot of people going to them will be vulnerable!

At this moment in time i know they are still sending out work capability assessment forms because i received one yesterday. Sad really, with so much going on in the world right now that they can still carry on sending those dreaded forms out.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
     I wonder if benefits assessments and tribunals will be postponed before long...afterall, a lot of people going to them will be vulnerable!

At this moment in time i know they are still sending out work capability assessment forms because i received one yesterday. Sad really, with so much going on in the world right now that they can still carry on sending those dreaded forms out.
    Tribunals are currently still going ahead.

There are some adjustments to assessments which can be read here: http://news.dwp.gov.uk/dwplz/lz.aspx?p1=MdBDU5MjI3N1M5ODA0OjI4NzlDOTVCQzJCQzNBRTJCRDM2NjE0QkNBMEVGNDAw-&CC=&p=0 
    and here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-support-for-employees-benefit-claimants-and-businesses?utm_source=37472ed5-c0b4-4625-8801-549259dc908d&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate

Noteably:

For people already claiming support

Special arrangements will be in place for people in receipt of benefits who cannot attend reassessments or jobcentre appointments because they are required to stay at home or are infected by coronavirus.

• Claimants who cannot attend a reassessment for Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit will continue to receive their payments while their assessment is rearranged. 
    • People who need to claim ESA or Universal Credit because of coronavirus will not be required to produce a Fit Note.
    • When claimants tell us in good time that they are staying at home or that they have been diagnosed with coronavirus, they will not be sanctioned. We will review their conditionality requirements in their claimant commitment, to ensure they are reasonable. 
    • Claimants who are staying at home as a result of coronavirus will have their mandatory work search and work availability requirements removed to account for a period of sickness. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.