Drivers of disable accessible vehicles? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Drivers of disable accessible vehicles?

Options
Rifi7
Rifi7 Community member Posts: 198 Pioneering
I was a driver but have recently become wheelchair bound. I miss driving and was looking into ways I can become more independent and stumbled across disable accessible vehicles that I could drive in my electric wheelchair. I was just looking to see if I could find anyone who drives and one of these and what their experiences of t have been?

Comments

• Rifi7
    Options
    Has anyone got a Wheelchair accessible vehicle that they drive? I’m used to be a driver but once I lost the use of legs I am now in a electric wheelchair. I miss driving but wondered how other people have found using a wheelchair accessible vehicle? 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    this is something I do think about. I have a WAV but have drivers and I sit in the back in my wheelchair.

Every outing has to be planned and scheduled...there`s so spontinaity of going anywhere.

It`s a bind.

These drive from wheelchair cars are unbelievably expensive new, but can be bought used for around 9k+

I would love one but family say they worry to much if I went out alone.

Let us know if you get one
    Pollsx
  • Rifi7
    Options
    Hi Pollyanna,
    I have had problems posting out this discussion so you may see it twice.
    Since losing the use of legs I have found it frustrating relying on others to get me out and about so was looking at ways to help me get my independency back. I don’t see why it won’t work but just wanted to see if anyone had any experience of using one. 
    I think it would make a world of difference for me to just be able to get in the car and go whether I need to go without relying on anyone. Also I won’t feel so isolated in the winter. 
    Let’s see how I get on but I will definitely let you know polly.

• soconfused
    soconfused Community member Posts: 102 Courageous
    Options
    I don’t have one but I do drive one for someone else - it helps them no end and if you can get one I would recommend it 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.