Sleep patterns — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sleep patterns

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
edited March 2020 in Coffee lounge
Sorry for all the threads recently, just have a lot of things on my mind to share :D this one is about sleep.

I was told the normal amount of sleep someone should need is 7-8 hours. I go to bed at around 9pm and sleep deeply, through to about 8am. That is 11 hours. If I have any less than this I get really tired the next day and need to sleep during the day for a good couple of hours. Actually, I often have a nap during the day anyway of about 1 hour.

I was just thinking, that seems like a lot of sleep. I don’t have any condition which should affect my sleep - except all I can think of is that I have mental conditions which maybe cause me to become mentally fatigued.

So as well as asking about myself - if anyone knows if this is normal - I thought this would also make a decent discussion about what your sleep pattern is like, and whether you feel your disability has any affect on your sleep pattern? Also a place to share tips for those having trouble with sleep.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    My goodness @66Mustang that's a lot of sleep especially if uninterrupted.  I'm usually in bed at 10pm and up at 8 in the morning but I'm usually up to the loo at least twice with bladder problems. I take an anti-depressant in the morning and a sleeping pill at night but the waterworks stop me sleeping straight through.  Can't remember the last time I had more than 4 hours straight sleep.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• 66Mustang
    Thanks for the post and sorry to hear about your lack of sleep. How long does it take you to get back to sleep when you wake up?

I don’t know what defines uninterrupted sleep but I do wake up a few times in the night but then quite quickly go back to sleep, so it doesn’t cause a problem. 

I do get up to use the toilet like yourself but then I am able to go straight back to sleep. I also have a weak bladder as I went through a stage with severe contamination OCD of being unable to use the toilet and would only use it once a day.

My post was not meant to come across as a brag to people who don’t get a lot of sleep, more that I’m worried that I am sleeping too much.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @66Mustang   Please do not worry about sleep the amount you have.

As an advocate of trying to cope with insomnia there is no guaranteed length of sleep.

Misnomer seven or eight hours a myth.  Depends on factors conditions age and health.

Simply if you feeling refreshed great and be not tired or any after effects of sleep then continue on.

Some times if you worry about sleep then you will not.

Sleep lengths times differ on age older you are less sleep you might need.

Also if you are concerned speak to Sleep Council or speak to your GP.

https://www.sleepcouncil.org.uk.

Please have a look website useful .

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    How I would love a sleep pattern unfortunately it's usually around, 4am before I finally get to sleep. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2020
    Hello @Firefly123   Understand this a lot have been on a routine now gone to pieces.

You may be need to look at the circumstances reasons why.

I have this medication, stress, anxiety and other personal issues. Connected with all the above including old man trouble visits to the powder room. Two three times a night some times.

Not easy although do insist in my own mind use my techniques and strategies  to help me.

Knowledge and a lot of relevant support from the organisations involved with.

Mental health charities offer sleep consultations and advice in support sessions with all their clientele.

Please if I can offer a hand of friendship in adding speak to the link added in the last post .

Lots of useful advice, guidance .

https://www.sleepcouncil.org.

One thing I would add diet, nutrition is very important.

Eat too close to bedtime can effect you.

Foods included Whole grains and those containing tryptophan.

Chemical aids sleep, included wholegrains Pasta, Rice, Bread.

Lean meat, Nuts, Diary Foods, Tuna.

Bananas sliced into Porridge warm milk.  Milky drinks warmed with Honey.

Other issues can be pain, as mentioned anxiety stress.

Avoid Caffeine.  In Cola, Coffee, Tea, Chocolate.

Avoid Alcohol, Smoking.

I hope these help you, please any underlying problems you think you need to visit GP.

You could look at NHS website another excellent source.

One final point please if I am up and about although we are told to avoid bright lights, electrical devices.

Am here so look forward if you need a friendly voice to cope.  Early hours and beyond.

Was a regular routine gent with sleep but getting disturbed by these issues recent events, plus trauma getting by coping with loneliness which can be another factor.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks @thespiceman, I really appreciate the post.
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Yes my kitchen was on fire about a month ago and I didn't hear the smoke alarm.. But as live with chronic pain it's not easy to sleep also. ☺ 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.