Disability news
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

Replies

• woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    To be fair they seem to be doing their best.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 19,244 Disability Gamechanger
    woodbine said:
    To be fair they seem to be doing their best.

I have to agree with you here. It's a very difficult situation for everyone.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • tommtomm Member Posts: 227 Pioneering
    No good if you are on a legacy benefit though is it ?,and it's unfair
  • MsbettyboopMsbettyboop Member Posts: 25 Connected
    I'm hoping they mention people on Pip and Esa today or in a future speech, I really hope we are not overlooked.
  • clarkjohnsonclarkjohnson Member Posts: 210 Pioneering
    It’s simple people on standard uc are getting more money not pip etc and so they should 
    UC Encompasses ESA JSA and PIP legacy benefits WE GET THE SAME RATE or did
  • OverlyAnxiousOverlyAnxious Member Posts: 519 Pioneering
    UC doesn't encompass PIP.  PIP is completely separate and isn't really relevant for this thread.

ESA should get a similar increase to UC but I suspect they are trying to make the switch to UC look more appealing.
  • RedeemedRedeemed Member Posts: 33 Courageous
    The £1k increaase is on the base allowance. Is that for a single person? Do couples get extra?
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 19,244 Disability Gamechanger
    Redeemed said:
    The £1k increaase is on the base allowance. Is that for a single person? Do couples get extra?
    Nothing has been confirmed yet but it’s a maximum of £1,000 over 12 months.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    UC doesn't encompass PIP.  PIP is completely separate and isn't really relevant for this thread.

ESA should get a similar increase to UC but I suspect they are trying to make the switch to UC look more appealing.

But as they were struggling in migrating claims over before this there would be a much longer wait without anything  than normal now, and i think there is still a bigger percentage still on legacy benefits it encompasses JSA, ESA and income support
    Well i think that a law firm maybe taking the gov to court on this for discrimination because that is what this is, they in their haste  blundered and instead of creating a emergency UC add-on limited time benefit to help those who can't work and WC claimants they made it so all uc claimants get this, and those who naturally migrate via  a C In C  won't get it, but those who choose to migrate will  that is why it's discrimination against legacy ESA JSA  And IS claimants
  • gillian72gillian72 Member Posts: 249 Pioneering
    It's more then we  get on esa support group isn't it ???
    They have increased the basic rate of UC  so the £73.10  per week bit which hasn't seen any increase for several years so if you are in the SP on UC you would get £150 + each week an extra £20 per week
    @tomm , what even if my daughter still lives at home an working??😷
    gillian72 said:
    @tomm , what even if my daughter still lives at home an working??😷

LCWRA for UC which is the same as the Support Group for ESA pays more than Support Group for ESA, if you work out the figures correctly and this is without the increase in the standard allowance the government announced for Covid19.

Non dependent deductions for the housing element of UC are more generous than housing benefit. Whether or not this will apply to you will totally depend on the age of your daughter. If she's under 21 then you won't have any non dependent deductions for the housing element, when claiming UC.
    edited March 31
    This is discrimination and need rectifying they OWE use legacy benefit claimant lots of money, when did the difference between the 2 widen so much a few years ago it was a few £££
    tomm said:
    This is discrimination and need rectifying they OWE use legacy benefit claimant lots of money, when did the difference between the 2 widen so much a few years ago it was a few £££

No it wasn't. LCWRA for UC has always paid more than Support Group for ESA, unless you're claiming the SDP and then you can't claim UC anyway. Lots of people always thought it's less money but that's not true.
    UC base rate is £79.45 weekly ( £317.82 per month)add  the LCWRA element £84.05 per week (336.20) per month  giving a total of £163.50 per week
    ESA base rate £73.10 per week  SG (LCWRA) element including the EDP = £55.35 per week total of £128.45  per week ( Single person over 25)

So a difference of £35 per week using the 20129/20 rates  so over a moth ESA SG claimant are so £140  worse off than those claiming the Equivalent UC + LCWRA benefit  before this latest increase to UC  discrimination, and we ESA legacy SG claimants owed money you cannot give people different rates of benefit  because of the name of benefits when their circumstances are the same, and they meet the criteria for both benefits , so UC claimants have been over paid or ESA have been under paid

I don't make the rules, i just give advice. I'm in the same boat as yourself and i claim ESA but receive the SDP so i'm excluded from claiming UC.

Of course for those that are not happy with the amount of ESA they receive and are in the support group, they can always start a claim for UC and your ESA award will be honoured in UC and you'll receive the LCWRA.
    We could, but we shouldn't have to, we should be paid the same rate  and failure to do this is in law discrimination i know it's not your fault, but i was just putting the info out there so others are informed and maybe will approach a legal expert to take this further we should collectively do this force government to do the right thing
    @tomm omg what a joke they r , it's bad enough when u get called in to be assessed again , an filling in  esa50 or what it's called I can't remember, but  they  never  inform u of  uc paying more ,an applying 4 pip when ur put in support group  they know damn well  what  amount of money were getting. we should automatically be awarded  pip, an why r people getting these large back dated  amount from 2013 ???
    The underpayments were regarding Incapacity benefit to ESA transfers.
  • Bridget14Bridget14 Member Posts: 58 Courageous
    Oh how wonderful life would be to be fit and healthy able to work and not keep being penalised for  having disability and having to live off  ESA or PIP. But hey we know that  we are and always shall keep going down the list on the financial scale.
    On the bright side we are all still here and having the community group we shall keep each other going.
    Keep smiling every day is a blessing.
  • odete21odete21 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hello everyone I'm new in the forum. I'm on UC I get LCWRA and I just been awarded PIP top rate for both, first time application and 5 month's wait, do I need to let UC know? Do I cancel UC or how does it work? If anyone knows please let me know. I had help with the application and I don't want to be overpaid any money I'm not entitled to. Thanks in advance 
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,388 Scope community team
    Hi @odete21. Congratulations on your successful PIP application. 
    You can let UC know about your PIP via a note in your journal as it may change your housing element (depending on your circumstances), but it doesn't have any other impact. The money you receive from PIP is ignored by UC as income so won't reduce it. You can claim both without any worry.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
  • bob123bob123 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    hi,im bob123 ,so if i get pip at higher rate for care and mobility and in esa support group should i claim uc?
    Personally i would stay as you are until after this lockdown farce is done with, do you get Severe disability premium?  as you may be better off on legacy ESA  not sure if that is paid on UC because of Sdp
Sign in or join us to comment.