Universal credit advice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit advice

Options
Rascat0108
Rascat0108 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Hello all 

so I’d been employed for 25 years ever since I was 16, had an accident December last year which has resulted in me having a permanent disability. I am unable to do my current job role with my disability however I am still on maternity leave and in receipt of smp. I have applied for UC to help with rent ect as obviously my earnings have drastically reduced.

i have also successfully applied for pip and have been awarded standard daily living and higher rate mobility.

i have 3 children under the age of 5 and split with my long term partner summer last year.

now since my accident my mother has been living with me to help care for me and the children, my mum has since gotten quite ill herself ( feel terrible about this) and I have insisted she can no longer carry the load of looking after us all.

my ex and the father of my children  has now offered to help care for me and the children but as it involves him quitting his job to do so he has asked to move Into my house so he doesn’t have to worry about finding rent money every month.

we have a good relationship for the sake of our 3 children I sleep in one room with baby and boys and in one room together so there is a spare room.

my question is if he quits his job will he be able to apply for uc in his own right even though at my address? And would he be eligible for some kind of carers allowance to make up for the loss of his monthly pay?

my care is pretty full on, dressing, preparing all the meals, bathing , toileting ect so it is full time round the clock thing plus with the children..... sorry for long post hope for some advice ! 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,326 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There could potentially be issues here because he's your ex and the father of your children. If you each claim as single people this could be questioned, although it is possible but you'll both need to be prepared to prove you're not living together as a couple.

Do also be aware that when claiming Carers allowance and UC the carers allowance is deducted £1 for £1 from any UC entitlement. The only advantage to claiming the carers allowance is it pay class 1 NI credits, where as UC pays class 3.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.