Loss of SDP when I reach 66 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Loss of SDP when I reach 66

solis
solis Community member Posts: 4 Connected
Hello,
Received my yearly update from DWP and they said that because I reach 66 this year, I shall lose my £84.05 a week SDP.  I'm terrified as I doubt I'll manage.  I do get DLA but I have to pay for caring, taxis etc., as I am housebound with disabilities and many illnesses.  The DWP and Pension Service never answer the phone as it is constantly engaged or  they just hang up and I am desperate.  When I had children, I stayed at home to look after them and then I started to become disabled, first with severe arthritis, then a host of other things followed.  I fight my depression and anxiety as well as I can but this, on top of our dire circumstances with the Covid-19 (makes me feel quite churlish to even be asking for help for myself) has sent me into a downward spiral.  I don't know if I am entitled to any pension at all, however small, so that I might claim pension credits.  Also, will my DLA be stopped as well?  I'm sure someone amongst you will have the knowledge to assist me and I beg your help.  Many thanks and please be careful and safe everyone. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

SDP is not £84.05 per week, it's £65.85 per week. Slightly more than this when it increases in April this year.

You haven't said which benefit you're claiming but i'll assume it could be ESA, is that correct? If so then this is a working age benefit which will stop once you reach state pension age. You will then receive your state pension. Check this here but you'll need to create an account to be able to do this. See link. https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-age

SDP can be claimed as part of pension credit but you'll need to claim this once your state pension starts.

DLA no longer exists and you'll eventually be invited to apply for PIP. Of course they are extremely behind with the claims for this but it will happen sooner or later. In the meantime your DLA will continue as normal, even when you reach state pension age. When you're invited to apply for PIP you'll need to do this and then you'll be assessed for PIP. Once a decision's been made on that your DLA will stop.

Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    Agreed; ask for a pension forecast you may well have been receiving N.I. credits whilst getting other benefits (inc.family allowance) and the new unified state pension is over £170 week or a %of this if you have less than 35 years of N.I credits, you will of course still get your DLA.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• solis
    solis Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    thank you all for your assistance.  I appreciate it very much.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.