Keeping positive under lockdown — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Keeping positive under lockdown

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 10,666 Scope online community team
edited April 2020 in Coffee lounge
'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'We thought it would be nice to have a discussion on what you're doing to keep busy and keep positive while indoors, as well as a place to share any more positive news we find over the coming days.

So, how are you spending your time?

This week me and the kids are working on our rainbows that we'll then be sticking up in our windows. It's been good to see how many other households across the UK are joining in with the trend which you can read all about at Rainbow pictures springing up across the country (BBC)

An abstract painting in rainbow colours
Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for this @Stayce!! Really great that they will be releasing things daily. :)
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    Stayce said:
    Hi @Adrian_Scope  
    For budding artists out  there this is a really good drawing app tutorials 

http://www.robbiddulph.com/draw-with-rob

Best 

Oh that's brilliant. Thanks for sharing this @Stayce. Now I might finally become the cartoonist I was always meant to be!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    My husband helped the twins today. They did lessons in the garden in the morning and then went for a short walk this afternoon. I was with the baby. 
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    I have know a few people who are in 12 week isolation and they have told me how bored they are! I am lucky I work from home so even if I had to go into l2 week isolation I would have plenty to keep me occupied and I have always got my dog to keep me company! If I did get bored there is always something that needs doing in the house.
  • Abdi_Scope
    Abdi_Scope Scope Membership Team Posts: 264 Pioneering
    Thanks @Adrian_Scope - Enjoying reading the discussion on this post with good ideas during the current lockdown.   As an additional thought, this is a good time to maybe review and polish up our CV and look at our social network feeds. 

Many people are talking online on Facebook, Linked-in and Twitter. Could you spend some time each day improving your online profile and presence.  Connecting with new people or giving a ‘poke’ to those not spoken to in a while.

Consider asking to chat to people over FaceTime, Whats App video or Skype. As people have time they are more likely to give a response and engage with you online.  There are also some great online training resources that are free or have become free to use during this Coronavirus emergency.

For example, YouTube is a great resource to learn anything and upskill - particularly with computer based training. But also take a look at Alison.com, Edx.org and Coursera.org to name a few.  I hope these suggestions are useful to you at this time.
  • Adrian_Scope
    That's fantastic news @April2018mom. Well done for keeping at it and getting there in the end. :smile: Due to health reasons, I had to re-do some of my GCSEs years later. I think going back for a second (or third) round shows real dedication on your part. Nice one.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Snoops
    Snoops Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    That's Brilliant news! April2018mom. You did it! Its a big achievement getting through this when you're ill.
    Well done you ?
  • Denise11
    Denise11 Community member Posts: 99 Pioneering
    Good for you April2018mom  Are you now planning taking another subject?   Denise11 
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @April2018mom
                                     Congratulations on passing your Maths GCSE. To keep trying until you achieve what you want to shows how dedicated you are! Well done!
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @Adrian_Scope
                                    Thank you for sharing a fantastic post. I have managed to keep busy with in a number of different ways. We too, have a rainbow in our window and it is so lovely to see so many across the country, it really does put a smile on people's faces. For me the highlight of this week was the Clap for our Carers applause on Thursday at 8pm. Myself and my family went into our back garden and clapped, with many of our neighbours doing the same, clapping, cheering and whistling. It was a very poignant experience  and I feel showing our appreciation for what all those front line workers are doing is the very least we can do. They are true hero's! I have heard that there are calls for it to become a weekly event and I completely agree. Stay home, Protect the NHS, Save Lives! Thank you! 
  • April2018mom
    I did my elderly neighbor’s food shopping at the weekend. Today I was in the local park with a sketchpad doing some drawing. 
  • April2018mom
    Denise11 said:
    Good for you April2018mom  Are you now planning taking another subject?   Denise11 
    No. I wanted to see if I could improve. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I did my elderly neighbor’s food shopping at the weekend. Today I was in the local park with a sketchpad doing some drawing. 

I'm very surprised you were able to do that because you're only supposed to go out for essentials and once a day for exercise. Going out to do things like this isn't really allowed during these strict lockdown conditions.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Kimberleyh
    Kimberleyh Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Hi,
    Well I'm going out exercising, walking and jogging did four hours today, also am doing house work, watching programmes on ufos and aliens, talking to my friends on Facebook, I'm practicing my singing, watching TV, 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.