Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Concerned about the Coronavirus?

We've put together some helpful information and advice about Covid-19 on our website.

You can also read about: improving your wellbeing, getting food and essentials and claiming benefits during this time.

Managing pain during isolation

Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,727 Scope community team

A period of self isolation doesn’t mean all conditions and medical needs cease to exist. You might experience higher levels of pain due to stress, become stiff due to less movement or have a flare up. I know stress can be a major trigger for some people and it’s safe to say the current situation will be challenging. 

A woman face down on a bed with her hair spread over a pillow

Here are a few things you can do:

If you do become unwell then please do not hesitate to contact your GP or call 111. Your health is still important and you deserve support, just like everyone else. Your GP should be able to do a telephone appointment if you need extra support. 

Take things easy

It is okay if you are finding this overwhelming and scary — because it is. It may take a while for you to be able to adjust and that is okay. It’s your physical and mental wellbeing that is fundamental. Allow your body and mind the chance to adapt and try not to pressure yourself. 

Try and make sure you take at least an hour a day for yourself. Maybe even write a list of relaxing things you can do if you need to step away. 

Take each day as it comes, stay safe and look after yourself. You’ve got this!

What would you suggest for managing pain? Let is know in the comments below.

Community Partner
Scope

Replies

• Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,727 Scope community team
    No problem at all @Stayce! Thank you for adding in your suggestions. :)
    Community Partner
    Scope
  • WestHam06WestHam06 Community champion Posts: 202 Pioneering
    Hi @Chloe_Scope
                                    Thank you for sharing this, it is very useful! If you are able, I am continuing to do my physio programme from home to try to help prevent muscles from becoming too stiff. Thank you.
  • April2018momApril2018mom Member - under moderation Posts: 2,848 Disability Gamechanger
    This is my list of activities for isolation

1- Learn a new skill
    2- Do a baking session with your family
    3- Watch a new TV programme or movie on Netflix
    4- Start a blog
    5- Exercise 
    6- Hold a meaningful discussion on politics etc
    7- Treat yourself to a nice new bottle of wine, ice cream or a massage
    8- Read a new book 
    9- Take photos of your family members with permission
    10- Mess around with water

I hope this is useful! 
  • squeaksqueak Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for your information it's very useful. For stiffness I find warm shower hose just allowing to trickle down sore patches and when warm gently rub the area this helps to soften muscles and soft tissues hope this helps Squeak
    Thank you everyone for these, all really helpful!

@WestHam06, at the weekend I found my old physio exercises. Normally I just try to walk as much as I can, obviously that's a bit tricky at the moment!

Some great suggestions @April2018mom. :)

Welcome to the community @squeak! Great to have you with us.. Thank you for your suggestion, warm water can definitely help! 
    Community Partner
    Scope
  • mrbuttonsmrbuttons Member Posts: 220 Pioneering
    i noticed that my pain has increased by at least 50% i am not sleeping well so my body isn't repairing itself.my anxiety is rising too. i found a seated exercise video online and was able to  do most of it. I will post the link in thw thread about useful videos. It has helped to loosen my joints and ease the pain in my legs.
  • JayneLJayneL Member Posts: 1 Listener
    I've turned to online learning, my passion has always been Ancient Rome so I'm taking advantage of a Free course at futurelearn.com, but there are literally 100's of providers have a browse.

Otherwise it's me and my kindle. Stay Safe Everyone
  • mrbuttonsmrbuttons Member Posts: 220 Pioneering
    I've just done a guided meditation on the Calm youtube channel. it really helped to relax e and eased my pain and stress. they do them every day when people can join in a group discussion if they want. the guided meditations are always available on their YT channel at any time. this one is yesterdays

there is another live one tonight at 5.15 pm

• April2018momApril2018mom Member - under moderation Posts: 2,848 Disability Gamechanger
    Amazon has a selection of games for people to buy. I finished my course in nutrition earlier. 
  • SylivaSyliva Member Posts: 6 Listener
    I have started to sort lot things out I can't get up stairs I have selp downstairs for 12 yrs and with my hubby killing himself due to no reson just get out for the horrible things he done left me in all kinds dept plus it was on top Xmas I now suffer bad deppreson plus heart failure diebetic copd highptteson  rumeyed arthritis blackouts and more but I try carry on for my family who don't bist just phone I have no one but try prod along x
    Hi @Syliva, really sorry to hear abut your husband, that must be really difficult. 

We have an article about mental wellbeing during COVID-19 which you might find useful.

I hope you are safe and are able to get the essentials that you need.
    Community Partner
    Scope
Sign in or join us to comment.