Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Concerned about the Coronavirus?

We've put together some helpful information and advice about Covid-19 on our website.

You can also read about: improving your wellbeing, getting food and essentials and claiming benefits during this time.

Iceland has JUST added loads more slots

Hart86Hart86 Member Posts: 371 Pioneering
edited March 26 in Coffee lounge
Iceland.co.uk have just added lots of delivery slots. If you’re in need check them out ASAP! 
Tagged:

Replies

• OverlyAnxiousOverlyAnxious Member Posts: 332 Pioneering
    That's good to hear, I'm sure they'll get snapped up quickly!

I don't need anything just yet but will do around Monday, not sure whether to risk a store visit or try an online shop at the moment - I'm not signed up anywhere and I know slots are almost impossible to find now so may have no choice by then anyway lol.

Has anyone found stuff defrosting when buying online though?  I'm always super careful about how long anything stays out of the freezer and even use a freezer bag despite only being 5-10 minutes drive from the stores lol.  Partially thawing meat items is one of my biggest worries about food shopping and the thing that has put me off online food delivery so far.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 5,623 Scope community team
    edited March 25
    Hi @OverlyAnxious. ASDA, Tesco and Iceland are still letting new customers register. Sainsbury’s isn’t and I’m not certain on Ocado. You could register an account just in case you decide to use it at a later date? 

Supermarket deliveries use refrigerated vans and some are equipped with freezer areas.

I’ve done online shopping for a numbers of years and even in the heat of summer my ice cream has never even been slightly melted and nothing, including meat, has even partially-defrosted.

With delivery slots being snapped up quickly it’s worth a bit of forward planning to try and get a delivery when you need.

I’ve heard quite a few comment that supermarkets are pretty empty towards the afternoon (and still pretty well-stocked apart from toilet roll, soap and paracetamol) as most people are heading in early and limits on purchases has meant stock is more readily available. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
    Hi @OverlyAnxious. ASDA, Tesco and Iceland are still letting new customers register. Sainsbury’s isn’t and I’m not certain on Ocado. You could register an account just in case you decide to use it at a later date? 

Supermarket deliveries use refrigerated vans and some are equipped with freezer areas.

I’ve done online shopping for a numbers of years and even in the heat of summer my Ice Cream has never even been slightly melted and nothing, including meat, has even partially-defrosted.

With delivery slots being snapped up quickly it’s worth a bit of forward planning to try and get a delivery when you need.

I’ve heard quite a few comment that supermarkets are pretty empty towards the afternoon (and still pretty well stocked apart from toilet roll, soap and paracetamol) as most people are heading in early and limits on purchases has meant stock is more readily available. 
    Thanks Adrian,

I've just realised I must have online accounts with both Sainsburys and Tesco for loyalty schemes, points and emails etc, is it a separate system to register for the online deliveries though?  If it is separate, I'll get an account sorted for Tesco asap, just in case I need it, as you suggest. :)  

Glad to hear you haven't had any defrosted items in your own deliveries, that's reassuring!

I can't do anything until my ESA comes through on Tuesday (currently have 65p in the account lol) so there's only so much forward planning I can do at the moment.  However I think I've got enough for now.  I am lucky enough to live just a couple of minutes drive (or 10 minutes walk) from a Tesco Metro if I really get stuck.  Will try to keep an eye out online for anyone else mentioning quiet times in stores as well, afternoons used to be busy at the end of the school day but of course that's all changed now!
  • CressidaCressida Member Posts: 390 Pioneering
    @OverlyAnxious I've used online shopping for years and I've never had an issue with anything defrosting 🙂
    edited March 26
    Turns out I am registered with Tesco - but they have no slots for either delivery or C&C until April 15th (as far as the slots go).

I am also registered with Sainsburys - but they are only allowing vulnerable people to shop online for delivery.  And have no C&C slots up to April 15th either.

Just tried Iceland and they're 'advising' that only vulnerable people use the delivery service.  There isn't an Iceland store close enough for me to visit.

Looks like I will have to make the store visit after all!  I've had emails from both Tesco and Sainsburys advising about the latest social distancing and limited numbers allowed in the shops etc.  I just hope I can find a quiet enough time without having to queue in the carpark and that there's some stock left!  
  • thespicemanthespiceman Community champion Posts: 6,215 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 26
    Hello @OverlyAnxious   Please can add your concerns around frozen food from delivery drivers and supermarkets should be no problems.

I know one suggestion I have to make food last longer have many tips and tricks.

One is if purchasing Chicken Legs, or large joints.

Buy Shoulder of Pork, Turkey Thigh joint.

Roasted them in to a Oven 200 Degrees.

Use I do Tin Foil disposable roasting trays.

Then when cooled down out of the oven. Leave it to rest.

Shred diced using knives and forks no need to touch.

In a stockpot with Carrots, Leeks Onions or a Casserole mix buy frsh ones already done diced, cubed.

With Passata, Red Wine Vinegar and Herbs stock cube .

Cook warm through cool down in a bowl sink add to labelled tubs to freezer.

Means have a instant meal just need to flash it through the Oven or use a microwave make sure cooked though.

I do this a lot with Whole Chicken, Chicken Legs and Turkey Thigh add in Carrots, Onions, some times Celery or Leeks or those Soup packs.

In my freezer right now about eight tubs portioned for me.

Plus what left some times stock in the tub can add to another carton Passata or stock cube soup .

Another meal.  With left overs or stores helps veggies we all buy fresh this stops them going off.

Another one is buy the following which you can do please have a look.

Is the Chefs mix of diced Onion, Carrots, Celery SoFrito which is used in many cuisines add to a Slow Cooker or Casserole dish with meat of any sort. Passata herbs and cook.

Stock cube any thing like seasoning those packet sauces make up with stock cubes great to use.

Useful freezer meal once cooled own and labelled.

If you do that makes the food you have go further just some ideas for you.

Please if I can help with anything please ask me, I know mentioned before just trying to support our community.

I am aware of problems, issues you have happy to help offer solutions if I can.

Please take care and safe.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
Sign in or join us to comment.