Scared and upset — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Scared and upset

Britcat1974
Britcat1974 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I've been told to self Isolate for 12 weeks. I get no disability benefits so would only get SSP if I go off work. I have no partner to contribute. This has put me in a position of being forced to work. I'm very scared and upset. 
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm assuming you've received a letter from your GP because you're in the most at risk group, is that correct? If so do you claim any benefits at all? Do you have dependent children? Do you rent your home, own it or live with parents?

Sorry for all the questions but depending on your circumstances you maybe entitled to a top up of Universal Credit along with your SSP. Of course it will depend on your circumstances. Also having savings/capital of more than £16,000 will also mean you won't be able to claim UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Britcat1974
    Yes I have had the letter saying I'm "extremely vulnerable". I got benefit advice and told I cannot claim UC and SSP at the same time, I live alone, my house is mine and mortgaged. I have no children. No savings. 
    The only benefit I get is single persons 25% council tax deduction.
    After looking at PIP, I don't think I qualify for that either. 
  • poppy123456
    You can definitely claim SSP and UC at the same time. Who ever told you that you can't has given you incorrect advice. 

As you're claiming SSP you will have a reduction of 63p for everything you earn during an assessment period for UC. If you are over 25 the standard allowance at the moment is £317.82 per month. From 6th April 2020 there will also be approximately £83 per month extra for 1 year because of the Covid19 pandemic. Add that onto the annual increase from April 8th you will be entitled to a small amount of UC each month. Which will be approximately £160 per month. It's not a lot but will certainly help. First payment takes 5 weeks so i'd advise you to start a claim ASAP.

PIP isn't means tested but it's not awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors. Evidence will be needed to support your claim BUT because of Covid19 all face to face assessments have been suspended for at least 3 months. It's possible that a claim for PIP could take quite some time, most likely more than several months.

I would also advise you to speak to your mortgage provider because they could give you a 3 month break from paying your mortgage during this very difficult time.

I hope this helps. Please do stay say and take care. If you have any further questions please so ask.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Britcat1974
    Thankyou for the message. Its lovely of you to go into detail like that. 
    After doing calculations, even if I got that sum of money, and was offered a 3month mortgage and council tax break, that would leave me with £75 a month for food and general household expenses. And out of that I have a £50 Co pay for necessary meds for my dog.
    Sorry to be "negative" but the reality is that I still wouldn't be able to live on it. 
    I've booked work in for this weekend. All I can hope is that next week something comes up which gives me a little more. 
    Thanks for your help
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. It's very difficult times for a lot of people. I'm assuming you're planning on working from home because you're in isolation?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Britcat1974 - Welcome to the community. Please be guided by poppy123456 as she knows about the benefit system. As Poppy says, it's a very difficult time for many people. However, you should be self-isolating as you've been advised, as you're in the extremely vulnerable group. I hope you're doing this, or able to work from home, as mentioned above. You need to keep yourself safe, as well as any others you might come into contact with.
  • Abdi_Scope
    Abdi_Scope Scope Membership Team Posts: 265 Pioneering

HI @Britcat1974 -  how are you getting on ? Are you still working ? 

Would the furlough scheme be useful to you now things have changed so much in the last few weeks?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if-you-could-be-covered-by-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme

Take care and we are here to support each other

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.