Parents and carers
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Parents Connect - Support for parent carers

Louise_ScopeLouise_Scope Parents Connect Posts: 6 Connected
Hello!

Just to introduce myself: I am Louise Gillard and I run the Parents Connect service which is based in Leeds. Parents Connect looks after and supports the well-being of parents of children with disabilities or additional needs. I am also a mother to a son with autism.

During the current situation, we are taking our sessions online, and therefore expanding the service to cover the whole of the UK. Please contact us at [email protected] if you would like to access any of our online workshops.

I will also be checking in on here every day; so please let me know if I can help with anything you may have to ask. I may not always know the answers, but I can usually point you to someone who does!

Please take care and stay safe.

Replies

• Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Administrator Posts: 10,673 Scope community team
    Thanks for joining us @Louise_Scope, great to have you with us! :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • gabriel336gabriel336 Member Posts: 18 Connected
    Hi there! I am seeking information for my daughter. She is a single parent of 4 year old twins. One of whom is severely disabled- cerebral palsy, visually impaired, none verbal to name a few things. She has no support or help whatsoever. She moved to a different part of the country in August 2019 and by the time the education plan was in place etc the lockdown happened so she start nursery in March as planned. Although the school is due to open she has heard nothing and my granddaughter is meant to have an appointed person to care for her in the school. 
    She has not had so much as a letter of advice about COVID considering my granddaughter is classed as a vulnerable child. She even has to go and pick up the prescription once a month take it to the chemist then return 2-3 days later to collect 30 bottles of a nutritional drink the dietitian prescribed every month. She gets hardly any sleep. She has to blend every meal and push it through a sieve to remove any lumps then it can take 1-2 hours to feed her 1 meal. Plus she has to care for and entertain her twin. I help her as much as I can but it’s a lot even for the two off us. Can you offer any advice or information please? 
    Thank you in advance I only found the scope website yesterday and am very grateful to have done so. 
  • Louise_ScopeLouise_Scope Parents Connect Posts: 6 Connected
       Hi @gabriel336. My name's Louise and I run the Parents Connect service at Scope.

It certainly seems like your daughter has a lot going on at the moment. It is wonderful that you are supporting her, especially through this current lock-down. I'm sorry to hear she doesn't receive much support elsewhere, but we may be able to help a little.

Firstly, I would suggest she contacts her daughter's school to ask what has been put in place for the start of the new school year. As she has an EHCP, the school will have to have all the support stated in that plan ready for her return to school. They may not have been in touch yet as guidance on reopening schools has been slow to come out, so it could just be that they are a bit behind. However, staff will be working, so a call to get some information should be useful.

As far as help around prescriptions etc. goes, it may be worth calling our Helpline, who can look up help for your specific area. You can phone them on 0808 800 333 (Mon-Sat 8-7; Sun 10-6) and they may be able to help get you that information. I will email them your post above too. It may also be worth speaking to her GP practice, as they may be able to send prescriptions straight to the chemist and may know of a pharmacist that delivers prescriptions to the home.

Lastly, I am running some sessions online for parents of children with disabilities and special needs, starting next month. They are once a week for 6 weeks and we offer support to parents, as well as giving them chance to talk to others who have a child with needs. If your daughter would like to come on these, please ask her to fill out the form at: https://www.scope.org.uk/family-services/parents-connect/  or she can email us at [email protected] for some more information. We will be more than happy to give her a safe space to come and chat.

I hope that helps. Please contact us if there is any other support you need.
Sign in or join us to comment.