What do you wish mutual aid groups were doing (that they are not already)? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What do you wish mutual aid groups were doing (that they are not already)?

Kit_
Kit_ Community member Posts: 31 Connected
Hi everyone, I hope you are staying safe and keeping well.
A community group that I'm in has been doing lots of mutual aid work recently such as delivering shopping and picking up prescriptions, but are now thinking about what else we can do to be as helpful as possible at the moment. I know a lot of people feel they have fallen through the cracks in terms of the support offered by the government and may not be getting what they need so I wonder if anyone could suggest what a community group could do that would be helpful to you at the moment so I can discuss it with the group next week.
I personally don't need carers or medication or anything so I think it would be useful to hear from people who normally rely on any kinds of services, to work out what kind of assistance we could offer to people.
I have been reading some of the other posts and am pleased to see that most people are getting the supplies that they need, but I think some are still not getting all of the support they need which I find very worrying.
tldr: If you can think of any suggestions of services a community group or mutual aid group could be providing, please share.
Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    Advertise on something thats not facebook as well?, people who dont use facebook cannot use these groups?
  • Kit_
    That's a good point, thank you. The group I'm in has been sending out leaflets with a phone number and website on them in the hopes that as many people as possible can get in touch. I think they're also doing a 2nd round of leafleting in case they missed anybody.
    Do people think that leaflets are an accessible way to get the word out or could there be any problems there?
  • worried33
    I think what you been doing is very good, and I applause you for the work.
  • worried33
    Hi again Kit, just to let you know I only registered on facebook 2 weeks ago so I could access these groups, and my account has already been disabled for a vague "suspicious activity", they want my photo, interestingly I came across this.

Very strange company, it is alarming facebook seems to be the go to place for these groups, it has no customer support and I expect I wont be able to use it again.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/22/business/reactivate-facebook-account.html

I hope you find a way to provide other means of letting people contact you.
  • Kit_
    Yes, it is frustrating when people forget that the internet is not accessible to all, and facebook especially causes lots of problems for disabled people that most people aren't aware of.
    I hope more groups do physical leafleting and put up posters for people (with phone numbers on) because this seems to be the best way to reach most people.

Have you been able to get what you need?
  • worried33
    Thankfully I have been lucky with delivery slots, I now also have been put on the shield list, which hopefully will make it easier going forward.  However when I did look at facebook I could see all sorts of useful services on there, not just from the volunteer groups (who are doing an awesome job) but also from local companies offering delivery services which I hadnt seen advertised elsewhere.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.