I've been diagnosed with cancer, I don't know what to do — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've been diagnosed with cancer, I don't know what to do

goodbody323
goodbody323 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Ive been diagnosed with cancer and i have a 9 year old daughter and my partner keeps going off l dont know what to do 

Comments

• emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Hi @goodbody323  welcome to the community, I’m so sorry to hear this I’m going to tag @Adrian_Scope to see if the Scope team can give you some support or advice . Know that we’re all here if you need us.
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @goodbody323 and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you.  I'm sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis and your current situation with your partner.  I can appreciate that this must be a really stressful time for you, but as @emmarenshaw says, we are all here for you on the Community.  You are amongst friends and you can talk to us anytime.  I'm sure that @Adrian_Scope can give you some support and advice.

Do you think that your partner is maybe finding your diagnosis difficult to deal with and this may be causing him some distress and so this may explain him going off?  Just a thought, as Cancer affects the whole family so he may be dealing with it in his own way and not wanting to upset you by talking about it.  However, I realise that this will be more distressing for you and your daughter and you are unsure what to do.  I hope you don't mind, but I looked up Cancer Research UK's website and they have a link for carers/family/friends as to how to cope with a loved one with Cancer if you would like to have a look.  I'm sure also that if you got in contact with them that they could give you and your family some support/advice also -

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/coping/family-friends-caregivers

I'm sure that in time things will work out for the best for you and your family if you keep talking to each other.  My dad had Cancer a few years ago and as a family it was a distressing time and difficult news to come to terms with at first, but as his treatment progressed we had to keep talking to each other and it did help and I am sure this will be the case for you and your loved ones too. 

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on and I wish you all the very best.  
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @goodbody323 - Welcome to the community from me too. I'm very sorry to read about the difficulties you are currently experiencing; it can't be easy. I do hope Ails response is helpful, as she obviously has an understanding of the impact of cancer on yourself, daughter & partner. You might also consider looking at Macmillan Cancer Support. See: https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
    How are you & your daughter?
    As Ails says, please do keep in touch. We are all here to support each other with whatever difficulties we face. Thank you for joining.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @goodbody323. I'm sorry I didn't receive notification of being tagged in your post, I've just stumbled upon it.

It's been a few days since you posted and I just wanted to check how you're getting on? Was this a recent diagnosis and have you had the opportunity to talk through it with your partner? 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.