Unsure about assessment result! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Unsure about assessment result!

scape1960
scape1960 Community member Posts: 75 Connected
Hi, this is my first time on here and would be grateful for advice. I applied for ESA more than 4 month ago, had my assessment and have been receiving £73.10 a week since then. I have had a letter asking to confirm my works pension to make sure I am receiving correct amount. Does this mean I have been awarded ESA even though I have not received the result of my assessment or been told I been awarded ESA? I wonder if this has happened to anyone else and what it means. Also, if I do receive an award and it is for the higher amount, will I get back payment from when I should have started receiving it? TIA.

Comments

• Abdi_Scope
    Abdi_Scope Scope Membership Team Posts: 265 Pioneering
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @scape1960 - Welcome to the community. The amount you have been receiving is the rate that you get for 13 weeks whilst a decision is being made. If you are placed in the support group there's no backpayment as far as an increased amount goes. See the following for confirmation: https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/what-youll-get
    I would have thought you would get a decision letter about your ESA, like you do with other benefits, from the DWP saying which group you may be placed in.

• scape1960
    Thanks for your reply. What I'm really want to know is, does the fact that I am continuing to receive money after the 13 week assessment, and being asked to confirm my occupational pension means my assessment has been successful? If so, why have I not been informed and told what group I am in. When I've been reading this page @poppy123456 has explained that dsa is considerably behind due to covid19. This makes sense but just can't understand, if that's the case, why have received communication about pension. Thanks!
  • chiarieds
    Hi, the link above shows that the assessment rate is for 13 weeks, but, it does say that you'll continue to get the assessment rate until a decision is made, so it can take longer than 13 weeks (possibly due to Covid-19, as you've read). I would still expect a decision letter, but you can always try ringing to find out. They would need to know about your works pension as, if over £85 a week, this would affect the amount of ESA you could receive.
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @scape1960 and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you.  I just wanted to welcome you as I am unable to answer your query, but you have been given very good information and advice by @chiarieds.  I hope you get things sorted out anyway and please let us know how you get on.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • scape1960
    Hi, sorry if this is a duplicate post but as I'm new to this, wasn't sure if I'd posted in the right place originally, instead of this one as my query is to do with ESA. Thanks!
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @scape1960 I don't think any of us really know the answer and the best way forward would be to tele the DWP and ask, always a good idea to tele as early as possible when its a little less busy.
    Good luck
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• scape1960
  • Maxinus
    Maxinus Community member Posts: 43 Connected
    If this helps, my husband had to declare his pension income before he attended his assessment.
  • scape1960
    Thanks! Yes, I declared my pension income when I applied for ESA, it's only a small amount and not enough to impact on my ESA payment. I just wish I would get a letter with the result of my assessment and if successful which group I'm in. I've tried ringing numerous times but finding it impossible to get through.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @scape1960. How long ago did you have the assessment?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • scape1960
    Thanks! I had my assessment at the beginning of February. Do you think they have made decision but not informed me because of Covid19 or just not assessed yet because of it? Thanks!
  • chiarieds
    Hi @scape1960 - as mikehughescq has confirmed, a decision has not yet been made. Meanwhile you'll continue to be paid the assessment rate. You'll know more once there's a decision about your claim.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.