A new CDC report shows 10% increase of autism in the last two years — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

A new CDC report shows 10% increase of autism in the last two years

aiman90
aiman90 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited April 2020 in Autism and neurodiversity
The report originated from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. The CDC states that there's been a 10% surge in cases of autism diagnosis over the last two years. What do you think?

Source:
https://www.mentaldaily.com/article/2020/03/prevalence-of-autism-spectrum-disorder-rose-10-percent-in-cdc-report
https://www.mentaldaily.com/article/2020/04/what-are-the-characteristics-of-a-person-with-aspergers

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @aiman90   Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Thank you for the report and links.

This is good to know more people getting identified then they can get help by coming on here and any other organisations.

Giving community members the opportunities and choices to maintain their lives.

Met many members diagnosed later with autism and other related conditions pleasure to help be advising.

If you need any thing we can help with anything please ask anytime.

Please have a look around our website . Please join in discussions.

Please take care and keep safe.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Rhodie72
    Rhodie72 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    That's in the USA. In UK the increase has been due to a change in diagnosis availability for adults, the Autism Act and, recent recognition of such neurological conditions as an official differability. When people realise they have a condition they tend to find support for it (management, understanding, financial support, medical, social, etc). It isnot that theres benn an incrase in the prevalence but rather a recognition it iexists in a wider community than previously.
    Dream big, plan well, achieve goals, live the dream.

• fairybellsxo
    fairybellsxo Community member Posts: 45 Courageous
    I think that rather than their being a ' rise ' in autism, it's just there are better tools in place to recognize it within people :) so it seems it's on the ' rise ' however I believe it's just the same as it has always been, I could be wrong though :) id have to be presented with some facts.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    I'm of the same mind @fairybellsxo. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • IrishManc
    IrishManc Community member Posts: 56 Pioneering
    I’ve (vaguely) heard about some research and studies about this issue, focused mainly on children, in both Australia and the U.K. but also with children back home in Ireland - the incidence of Autism and Aspergers appears to be slightly higher in Irish Primary schools and it appears to be causing some concern among Irish parents 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.