Bit of advice please — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bit of advice please

Options
Firefly123
Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
Hi I am my sons appointee as he has mental health issues my problems are all physical can he claim carers allowance as has to help a lot he is on universal credit. 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Firefly123 - I don't know enough about this to advise, but would suggest you could try ringing Carers UK for their advice. Tel: 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm. There's also some info or their website.
    Hope this may help. :)

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Firefly123. Does your son receive the LCWRA/LCW element of Universal Credit?

There's no reason a disabled person can't be a carer and receive Carer's Allowance (as long as the care they give doesn't contradict the care they need/support they receive). However, if he receives LCWRA there's no financial gain to him claiming Carer's Allowance.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Firefly123
    Options
    Thank you @chiarieds I've looked on the links ☺

Hi @Adrian_Scope he has uc lcw which was until Dec last year but not been reviewed yet I guess due to the lockdown. He has no physical problems at all has autism depression and anxiety servre aggrophobia. My problems are all physical so he is always at home and has to help me most days. So our needs are the opposite from each other ☺ 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Options
    Hi @Firefly123. Does he receive the £126.11 a month for LCW? 

Carer's Allowance is deducted £ for £ from Universal Credit but he would then have the carer element (£162) added on to Universal Credit. But if he receives the £126 for LCW it would replace that. 
    He can claim the carer element of UC without claiming Carer's Allowance so all of his money comes from one place, but some people prefer the ability to have CA paid weekly. 

If he receives LCWRA (£336 a month extra on UC), there's no financial gain to him claiming either the carer element or Carer's Allowance. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Options
    Oh, just to check, do you receive or are you eligible for SDP now you've been awarded PIP @Firefly123? Remember that you'll lose SDP if your son, or anyone else, claims carer's allowance or the carer element of UC for you.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Firefly123
    Options
    Hi @Adrian_Scope no I would not qualify for sdp as my young adults all live with me. My son does not receive any extra money for lcw. ☺ 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Options
    Hi @Firefly123.
    So, yes he'd be financially better off claiming carers for you, but it's a personal choice as to whether he wants to do this via Carer's Allowance or the carer element.
    Your son having an appointee doesn't mean he can't be a carer for someone else.

I hope that helps!
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.