PIP and new diagnosis — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and new diagnosis

Scotspat
Scotspat Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, I'm new here, hope someone can help with some advice.  I am claiming PIP for a pre-existing condition, Hidradenitis, but I have just been diagnosed with breast cancer. Do I tell DWP about this, and will I have to have another assessment? Haven't got the energy to go through all that again...

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    So sorry to hear you have cancer...I hope you are being seen as a matter of urgency.

PIP aren't usually known for taking a diagnosis into consideration...just how it affects you.

They also award points for long term conditions.

I do hope you have a good recovery.

Take care sweetheart.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome @Scotspat, sorry to hear about the cancer diagnosis and wish you well, can I ask what rates of PIP you currently receive?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• neuromum4
    neuromum4 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    So sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with breast cancer.
    I really hope you get all the support and treatment and have a speedy recovery.
    Please take care x
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    edited May 2020
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Scotspat, really sorry to hear this. How are you feeling?

Does your diagnosis of cancer impact your overall health, with this being worse or better than before? With PIP being about your ability rather than a diagnosis.

If you need anymore advice then please do let us know. :)
    Scope

• Scotspat
    Thanks everyone for your lovely replies. , @woodbine I currently have enhanced mobility and standard care.  
    @Chloe At the moment it is more the psychological effect than the physical, but that may change after surgery. 
  • Scotspat
    I wanted to check if it was one of those 'you may lose your benefit if you fail to notify us' situations. xx
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Scotspat, how are you doing?

If you feel you would now qualify for enhanced care and have had those needs for 3 months (with them expected to continue for 6 months) then this would be when you would report a change of circumstances.

I hope this helps. :)
    Scope

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Scotspat Welcome to the community and sorry to hear about your new diagnosis.

If this new condition hasn't had any affect on your ability to carry out tasks as detailed in the PIP descriptors then I would be reluctant to report a change in circumstances as you know this would lead to re-assessment and the risk of losing the award you already have.

I would wait and if after surgery there is a change that will last then report the change

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.