Pregabalin for spinal lumbar stenosis — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pregabalin for spinal lumbar stenosis

lamiasafa
lamiasafa Community member Posts: 9 Connected
Has anyone used Pregabalin or amitriptyline for spinal lumbar stenosis I’ve read the side effects and I am worried about trying them as gabapentin didn’t work. Thanks 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2020
    Hi @lamiasafa - As we're not medically qualified, I can't comment on whether Pregabalin might help your condition. However, I will give you my personal opinion about Pregabalin, as I take it myself for neuropathic pain, & researched it quite a bit nearly 2 years ago.
    I tried Gabapentin & couldn't tolerate the drowsiness it caused; I've now been on Pregabalin for about 7 years.
    Whilst they have similar effects on neuropathic pain, as Pregabalin is more potent, you only need a smaller dose, so potentially fewer side-effects. It seems Pregabalin is better absorbed, & may last longer in the body.
    I did have a longer, but easier to read article about these 2 meds, but, since I put a new operating system on my computer, lost the bookmark I had, & unfortunately can't find it again. I hope the following links may help instead. The first also mentions amitriptyline, something I couldn't tolerate as I have low blood pressure, & it lowered it even more!

• lamiasafa
    Thank you for the information Chiarieds it is really helpful you’ve definitely helped me with the decision to try Pregabalin and not amitriptyline the side effects are too much. Thanks for the links I’ll be checking them out ??
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @lamiasafa. :)

As Chiareds has said, we aren't medically trained but I really hope it eases your symptoms.  
    Scope

• ScoliFibroGirl
    ScoliFibroGirl Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    Hiya 
    I have been pregabs for fibromyalgia and i can say its the best drug there is available on the market it eases the symptoms really well and just makes every day easier
  • janejr
    janejr Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Hi I've recently been put on pregablin and had thought they were doing me well. But tonight I'm in so much pain it's reduced me to tears. I have spinal stenosis and a slightly inverted vertebrae. Two of my vertebrae are squashing two disks and I'm waiting for an operation that will probably take forever now we have covid to sort out first. The pain in my left leg and back is driving me mad. I've tried all the usual stuff like hot water bottle, walking round , stretching and none are working. I have having to take so many meds but will take anything the doctor can offer to stop this pain. I live alone and feel helpless at the moment. Can you recommend anything that would help. Can my doctor prescribe something else that would work. What helps with your pain as I'm desperate right now.
  • lamiasafa
    edited November 2020
    Hi janejr I wish I could give you some advice like yourself I’ve been in so much pain since I was diagnosed with spinal lumbar stenosis In March. I’ve tried all the medications even had a steroid injection in August which didn’t help at all.  Because of covid it’s been a very slow process getting treatment. Last week I was put on the waiting list for an operation but only when covid is under control.
    I wish I could give you some advice but like you I have tried everything I can to help. It’s so isolating having this condition hope you are not suffering alone, and you get some relief soon. 
    Lamía ?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi just to add I have taken pregablin for several years now and find it really helps my nerve pain, I certainly know if I have missed a couple of doses . But like any meds we all react different and also depends on other meds you take at the same time
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    In early November I had surgery to help my spinal stenosis, a week later I was in so much pain I was taken back to hospital and had more surgery. 6 weeks after I am now still in pain and now have a lot of leg pain along with it. so much so I cannot walk and so use crutches and a frame just to get around the house. I have not been out of the house for months and spend a great time of day living upstairs. I have been takin pregabalin for quite some time and it does help a little. I also take Naproxen and wear a painkilling patch to boot.  
    I was hoping the operation would relieve a good deal of the problem, but now now I seem to be much worse. Will the pain ease with more time or I am now like this for good?  
  • lamiasafa
    that sounds awful I’ve been suffering with spinal lumbar stenosis for a year now and am on the waiting list for decompression surgery having had every type of treatment!! Although because of covid it doesn’t look like it will be anytime soon.

I hope you improve soon ?
  • happyfella
    happyfella Community member Posts: 486 Pioneering
    I was on gabpentin and it would send me to sleep. I was on them for a long time and it come to a point i would only take them if the pain was too unbearable. The doctor wanted to keep me on them but i insisted i wanted to change them so they put me on Pregabalin. I have to be honest, i have not looked at the side effects. When i take them they do make me feel tired so again i only take them if the pain gets too much. I am also on naproxen

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.