Cycling. Walking — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cycling. Walking

Dragonslayer
Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
Hi there
I have just heard the recent broadcast from the government on how they intend to spend millions of pounds on cycle paths, and encourage people to walk to work. All this relating to the problems concerning corona virus and social distancing. My question is. If this is the 'new normal' What about those of us that can't cycle, or walk? 
Dragonslayer.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    The problem is that when/if they bring public transport back to full service they will still impose social distancing meaning that 90% of seats will be lost, therefore they are encouraging those who "can" walk or cycle to do so.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Dragonslayer
    Hi there
    I know they are encouraging us all to leave are cars at home, but many disabled people rely on there's to get around. For many just getting to a bus stop is a struggle, never mind getting on or off. It will be interesting to see how many people keep up with cycling and walking when the weather gets bad. All is fine while we enjoy this lovely weather.
    One question. While this virus is ongoing, is it still OK to drive for a while just to keep the battery charged? I'm talking about just driving. Not getting out of the car or visiting anyone. I tend to do this at least once a week. 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2020
    A family member has decided against this because they have a 30 mile commute which would mean getting up at 3am. Also, their commute is down the motorway where it is currently illegal to cycle or walk. :|

I don't think the greens think before they speak. They seem to think everyone lives in a city and has a car out of spite, because they hate the environment and want to destroy it. Not the case - most people have a car because they NEED it and would love to be able to sell it and live without it.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Oddly enough they are encouraging those who will be returning to work to use their cars !
    @Dragonslayer you could always just leave your car running to warm it up, strictly speaking we are not allowed to just go out for a drive.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Dragonslayer
    I had read online that just leaving a car running may help keep the battery charged but it is not ideal for keeping it in good shape. A car is meant to run in order to keep all moving parts in good working order and for this a car should be run for 30 miles a week at least for this reason.
    And like 66 Mustang says. Like many others I need my car, so need to keep it in good order.
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @Dragonslayer
                                  How are you? This is a really good question to ask and I think like with most things, it is going to take time to get clear and concise answers to the many, many questions there are around the many different guidelines. I too, have heard what @woodbine has said that where you are unable to walk or cycle to work, to use a car if you have one. Thank you.  
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2020
    From Wednesday 13th (tomorrow) we are allowed to drive to open spaces, parks, beaches, etc for exercise regardless of the distance.  So if you want to drive somewhere just to park up & look at the scenery that's totally fine.  If you do get out of the car, you should continue to socially distance and keep at least 2 metres from anyone else.  If you're shielding, you really shouldn't be going out at all.

I must stress this is currently only for England, if you're in Scotland, Wales or NI they are not allowing this yet!

Cars absolutely benefit from being driven, it's much better to drive it somewhere than just to start it and let it idle for a while.  If you can't drive anywhere at the moment, you should still move the car forward and backwards a few feet to keep the bearings moving, stop tyres getting flatspots and keep the steering and brakes free. :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    This is going to be really tricky. Due to my mobility and sight, I rely on public transport to go everywhere, even if that's just to go to the shops.

Like @OverlyAnxious has said, please do remember this only applies to England. I know it will be confusing with different advice, but please do go to your government website if you are unsure. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.