Change of circumstances and how it affects PIP/ESA/CA etc. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Change of circumstances and how it affects PIP/ESA/CA etc.

Christ0pher
Christ0pher Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I am in receipt of PIP high rate daily allowance and low rate mobility, ESA support group with enhanced disability premium I believe.
We have four children ages 13 and under.
We have been looking at moving house because the area we currently live in is rural and we are wanting to move somewhere closer to all the amenities that we need to access often as well as maybe reducing the amount of rent we have to pay each month.
The worry we have is how it would affect our claims if we were to move, would we be transferred onto UC, would it mean having to go through the whole PIP process again, would we still be eligible for LHA?
These unknowns have made us reluctant in finding a new home, but it is getting to the point where we're feeling imprisoned by living rural, when our car breaks down it causes all sorts of headaches.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Christ0pher and a warm welcome to the community.

Unless you are in receipt of SDP (severe disability premium) which it doesn't sound like you are, a move would prompt a change to Universal Credit.
    This is because you would have to apply for housing benefit under the new local authority, which would be classed as a new claim. 
    LHA rates vary by area, so the amount you receive towards rent would be different in a different council authority, but you should still receive your same bedroom allowance. 

If you switched to UC, your ESA Support Group status would become LCWRA on UC and would continue to be honoured. Your PIP would be unaffected and the move wouldn't mean you required to have another assessment for either PIP or ESA/LCWRA. 

I hope that helps but any other questions, please feel free to ask.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Christ0pher
    Christ0pher Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited May 2020
    I have just filled out a benefits calculator and it gives me two results "income" and "after costs".
    Is the income the total amount that will be received each month? or is it the "after costs" figure that I should work our budgets off?

I'm assuming that the "after costs" figure is the amount that we'd be left with after council tax & rent has been taken off the "income" amount.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited May 2020
    Hi @Christ0pher. I'm afraid without knowing more details it would be impossible for me to say. Which benefit calculator were you using and was the total it showed you for UC? Can I also ask if you are living with a partner and whether they claim Carer's Allowance for you?
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.