Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Check you're happy with the email notifications you're receiving.
• Have a look at how the community will be changing its appearance.
• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

National Insurance record - ESA

I have been in receipt of Carers Allowance for many years, and my understanding was that I would receive National Insurance Credits.

I became ill in March, and was no longer able to carry out my 'carers' duties.  I therefore, stopped my Carers Allowance claim, and applied or Contributions Based ESA.   But, I have received a rejection letter from DWP telling that I am not eligible due to an insufficient National Insurance record !!

Does anyone have any advice ?

Thanks

Replies

• Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 6,379 Scope community team
    Hello and welcome to the community @Tigerblu!

It's my understanding that you have to have been receiving Carer's allowance for the entire tax year before the present benefit year (2018-2019) and in addition to this, you need to have worked for 26 weeks in any tax year. Just receiving National Insurance Credits alone isn't enough to claim new style ESA. Normally your option would then be to claim income-related ESA, but that no longer exists and has been replaced with Universal Credit.

Obviously I don't know your household circumstances, but it would be worth you looking into whether UC is an option for you.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
Sign in or join us to comment.