Welcomes and introductions
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Check you're happy with the email notifications you're receiving.
• Have a look at how the community will be changing its appearance.
• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

Selling and buying another flat

theitalianalientheitalianalien Member Posts: 9 Listener
Hello Everyone,

I recently sold my flat and moved to a cheaper one to be mortgage free and to clear some credit card debts (£5000 circulating in my bank account for 3 days) now my maintenance charges are higher and I sent the bill to the DWP, they replied saying that they want to see the whole sale completion statement and if there is money left over and how they've been spent. I feel I have done wrong in clearing my credit cards debts, will I risk a penalty instead?

Replies

• AilsAils Community champion Posts: 2,214 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @theitalianalien and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you.  I'm sorry to hear about your present circumstances with the DWP.  I'm not sure about this and can appreciate how worried you are about it as it seems perfectly acceptable to me for you to want to clear your credit card debts after selling your flat.  There maybe other members who may be able to advise you better on this or one of our Scope Team and if so, they will post here.  Meantime, have you tried phoning the DWP to ask why they are asking you to do this?  Also your local Citizens' Advice Bureau may be able to explain things as they have a good knowledge of DWP too.  I hope you find out what is happening anyway and let us know how things go.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • theitalianalientheitalianalien Member Posts: 9 Listener
    Thanks for your reply. I couldn't phone both the DWP and the CAB because I opened the letter yesterday when their office hours were not operational. I have been reading many stories on the internet about deprivation of capital for clearing mortgage and credit cards that these are not helping my severe mental health problems. I am replying to their letter providing all the documents they need and I also kindly asked them to cancel my claim for extra help to pay the service charge. 
    No problem @theitalianalien, I can appreciate how worrying this is for you.  You are doing the right thing in replying to the DWP letter and providing all the documents they need.  Please try not to stress too much and I would encourage you to phone either the DWP or CAB when they are open again on Tuesday if you can.  Please let us know how you get on and we are here if you need any help/support from us also.  All the best.  :smile:
    Thank you very much Ails. I haven't been well these days. Often tearful. Lack of sleep and I am not hungry, I keep throwing up, it might be the high level of anxiety. Not last to mention the eerie hallucinations. I wish it was Tuesday already. Thanks again Gio
    I'm sorry to hear about your anxiety and how upset you are, but can appreciate that this is a very stressful time for you.  Please try to look after yourself and I know it isn't easy just now to eat and sleep, but just look after your health.  Do you mind me asking if you receive any support for your mental health?  You are very welcome.  :smile:
    They were when I was on the isle of Wight, but the guy used to stress me out and one day I threw up in front of him and he just left. Now here in Paignton.....there's just me. Thanks
    Oh I'm very sorry to hear about that.  Do you think you could speak to your GP about your anxiety as he/she maybe able to suggest something to help?  How are you doing during lock-down?  :smile:
    Yes I will, I also need to register here, my GP is still the one on the Isle of Wight, which signs my medication and I am using Pharmacy2U to get them delivered. This is my fault, cos I should have done it earlier, I need to do it on Tuesday too. Lock-down is not affecting me, loneliness my normality, cos i just go to supermarkets only. I have no friends, always lonely and evasive. People makes me snappy very easily...... I have a complicated diagnosis.
    That's good you are going to register with your new GP, @theitalianalien.  I think that will be worthwhile just to give them a heads up about things and I'm sure you have had plenty to keep you busy since moving, as sometimes it isn't always easy to do everything at first so please don't blame yourself.  I'm sorry to hear you are feeling lonely.  Some of our members on the forum find this a lot too and so will understand how you are feeling.  Please know that you are amongst new friends here and can chat to us anytime as there will always be someone on here to listen and chat to.  We are all here to support you so please don't hesitate to call on us if you need us.  Being on here can be great to make new friends and while away a wee hour or two.  Sometimes for some people being online and speaking to people there can work better than meeting people face to face.  Anyway, please keep in touch and let us know how things go.  All the best.  :smile:
    Thanks so much and I agree with you....I have a sort of social phobia too, I must confess to you that loneliness can often give me comfort, of course it is very very strange to be always and completely alone.....I am very weird and I am aware of that. Chatting online helps a lot and thanks for being there.
    Yes, sometimes we have to do what is best for us and if loneliness gives you comfort then that is perfectly fine.  I'm sure you aren't weird, it would be a very boring world if we were all the same, lol!  Glad to hear that chatting online helps you and I hope you will come on here when you want to and get involved with our friendly chats.  I look forward to seeing you on here anyway and no problem at all.  That is what we are here for.  :smile:
    You are very kind thanks for dedicating your time to me.
Sign in or join us to comment.