Are one-handed wheelchairs worth buying? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are one-handed wheelchairs worth buying?

Options
becboo39
becboo39 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello everyone, hope your all staying safe and well in these very strange times,
my name is Rebecca and I'm a personal assistant to a chap with a brain injury who is always looking for new and exciting activities to do at the moment he's looking for a one handed wheelchair but would like to know if they actually work and would be worth buying one so if anyone has any experiences then that would be great thank you in advance ?

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @becboo39 and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you and thank you for your kind words.  I'm doing fine, thanks and hope you are too.

That's great that your friend is always looking for new and exciting activities to do.  I must admit, I've never heard of a one handed wheelchair myself, but some of our other members may have and if so, I'm sure they may be able to help you and share their experiences with you.  I use a manual wheelchair outdoors, but I don't think that is quite the same and what you are looking for!  Good luck with finding out the relevant information anyway and please let us know how you get on with it.  If we can be of any help to you or your friend then please just say.  All the best.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @becboo39 - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining with your kind thoughts. It's great to read that you help someone with a brain injury, & are enquiring on his behalf. I'm sorry I'm unable to answer your query, but, as Ails says, perhaps another member may know more. You might also try contacting Headway to see if someone there can advise. Please see: https://www.headway.org.uk/
    I also found this link, which may help: https://mobilitybasics.ca/wheelchairs/onearmdrives
    If this doesn't help, please let us know, thank you. :)

• emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Options
    Welcome to the community @becboo39
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    Chairieds do you know an exercise video ?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @newborn - the Charted Society of Physiotherapists has some exercise videos. Being a physio I would recommend these. If you need a specific exercise to do, please let me know. See: https://www.csp.org.uk/public-patient/keeping-active-healthy/exercise-advice-videos :)

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome @becboo39

Your best bet is to make some inquiries and find out as much as possible. Off the top of my head, here are some activities you could do with him:

Colouring
    Art and craft projects
    Exercise
    Cookery
    Gardening
    Learning a new skill

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @becboo3, I have found that it's really beneficial for some people. Is this something they could try on a trial basis? 
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.