Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

selling/buy home while on benefits

Hello Everyone,

I get ESA income-related and I have sold my flat and moved to a cheaper in order to be mortgage free (6 months ago) and the remaining money to clear some credit card debts (£5000 circulating in my bank account for 3 days)  Few weeks ago my I've found out that the maintenance charges are higher than the previous flat and I sent the bill to the DWP, they replied saying that they want to see the whole sale completion statement and if there is money left over and how they've been spent. Now I deeply feel guilty to ask extra help and I've done wrong in clearing my credit cards debts, so in few terms will I risk a sanction, reduction or even my benefit to be stopped instead?
Thanks in advance

Replies

• woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 1,576 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi good-evening and welcome to scope; you need to send them what they are asking for and answer and questions they ask, a decision maker will then decide if you have deprived yourself of capital in order to receive benefits (or more benefits), what happens next depends on their decision.
  • theitalianalientheitalianalien Member Posts: 44 Connected
    Thanks for replying woodbine, I am sending a letter of apologies and asking to cancel my claim. I am going to pay the service charges by myself. Yes I am sending what they ask and I am attaching bank statements and showing the whole sell/purchase transaction.  
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,595 Scope community team
    Hello @theitalianalien. It's pretty standard for them to check and want evidence of how capital was spent. It doesn't mean you've done anything wrong or should feel guilty or pressured into ending your claim. If you're not entitled they will tell you that, if you are then why shouldn't you claim?
    Paying debts (including credit card debts) with capital is usually fine, but it's standard procedure for it to it get sent to a decision maker to decide. 
    I know this must be a stressful situation, but don't do anything rash you may later regret. :)
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
  • theitalianalientheitalianalien Member Posts: 44 Connected
    Sorry about my late reply....that issue was sorted out with positive outcome. Thanks for your support.
Sign in or join us to comment.