Your relationship with family — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Your relationship with family

Options
pupnut
pupnut Community member Posts: 5 Listener
How do people find getting along with and being part of their wider family?
I find it quite difficult due to ableism, which I know is not deliberate but it makes relationships hard. I can't keep pretending things don't upset me.
It's sad because I feel a remove from my wider family. It makes life very small. 
How do others have relationships with their family?

Comments

• mia97
    mia97 Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
    Options
    @pupnut

Hey! How are you? I hope you are well and having a good day!

In response to your question, I do not talk to many of my family members (extended family), I find this difficult as they do not have a lot in common with me. Also, I am adopted, so apart from my Mum, I do not talk to them much at all. I personally do not mind, as I have them on social media and feel I can keep updated through this. However, instead of looking for conversation through family members, maybe use SCOPE and social media as a way to talk to others with the same interests/hobbies. Obviously be careful when speaking to strangers, do not giver personal details out, be safe, etc. But this definitely helps and I have made some great friends via online, friends which I have known for years and some of which I have ended up meeting up with - which has been great. also remember during times like this (COVID19), it is more difficult to keep in contact with family members/friends, some of them may be struggling mentally to cope with the situation, so please try not to take it personally if people are not talking to you as much.

Having said all this, I am more than happy to talk with you and get to know you...if you would like. Up to you!

I hope some of this helps, take care?
  • Ronni
    Ronni Community member Posts: 161 Pioneering
    Options
    My family on face book but I'm not cool enough in reality. I txt mother twice even though down round havent been able to get together  for longtime trying fit one myself. Here seems a good place to start. 
  • mia97
    mia97 Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
    Options
    @pupnut
    Ah okay, well not everyone uses social media - so that is okay! Maybe text/talk to your mum more, I am sure she will like talking to you and hearing about what you have been upto. How old are you?
  • Ronni
    Options
    Old very old. 49 my disabilities are complied  visual word is my best way of communicating.

• Ronni
    Options
    Amia meant there seems alot your age here looks a good place. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @pupnut, sorry to hear relationships with your family be difficult. I imagine this can be really hurtful. How are you doing today?
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.